Trapezoids!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe. Lived, died, then lived again.
I used to be into '65-'68 Mustangs when I was a kid, way before I got bit by the "Clydesdale" bug. One day, during my teens, my dad gave me a book that covered first generation Mustangs, and that's when I first took notice of the '71-'73s. I had never seen one in person, and thought they looked very sleek and futuristic. Fast forward many years, and they still give me the impression that some futurist, like Syd Mead, designed it. Never really could put my finger on it, till recently.

I've been going on a bit of a retro trip and looking at old Disney concept artwork and designs, like Space Mountain. That's where I first noticed this:

Space Mountain

space-mountain-tunnel.jpg

See the left side of the corridor? Sideways Mustang tail lights. It also has the same futurist design feel as stuff from the 60s and 70s (all the way up to the 80s).

Then I saw this:

Syd Mead Artwork

tumblr_mt8gyx8B1m1r89a2ho3_r1_1280.jpg

Again, another Mustang tail light. So I realized the old futurists liked to use lots of trapezoidal shapes, as well as gentle swoops and curves accented by sharp creases and angles.

So I'm finally associating the '71-'73 Mustang design language with old futurist design elements and that makes me appreciate our cars even more. Especially the tail lights that I used to hate. Now I actually like them because I see what they were trying to do. The fact that the rear tail light panel, back window (on coupes), and front grille all employ trapezoids in conjunction with the long, gentle sweeps of the body give me an even deeper appreciation for what the Ford designers did in the late 60s.

A good example of the futuristic concept taken to the next level is the Pegasus Mustang. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it serves to highlight what I'm talking about:

Pegasus
298261.jpg

PegasusRear
04-1971-ford-mustang-pegasus.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/9786499272_2e33dfd8af_o.jpg

9786499272_2e33dfd8af_o.jpg

Even the interior on this one has the 'Space Mountain' look, with sharp angles and trapezoids everywhere. The white and gray theme give it a spaceship feel. See what I'm getting at?

So in conclusion, I think that while the earlier Mustangs have a distinct European sports car flavor (sort of), our '71-'73 ponies have a more space age thing going on. I guess that's why I always got that impression. That, or I'm delusional.

Anyway, had to share with you guys. Back to work! :dodgy:

I used to be into '65-'68 Mustangs when I was a kid, way before I got bit by the "Clydesdale" bug. One day, during my teens, my dad gave me a book that covered first generation Mustangs, and that's when I first took notice of the '71-'73s. I had never seen one in person, and thought they looked very sleek and futuristic. Fast forward many years, and they still give me the impression that some futurist, like Syd Mead, designed it. Never really could put my finger on it, till recently.

I've been going on a bit of a retro trip and looking at old Disney concept artwork and designs, like Space Mountain. That's where I first noticed this:

Space Mountain

space-mountain-tunnel.jpg

See the left side of the corridor? Sideways Mustang tail lights. It also has the same futurist design feel as stuff from the 60s and 70s (all the way up to the 80s).

Then I saw this:

Syd Mead Artwork

tumblr_mt8gyx8B1m1r89a2ho3_r1_1280.jpg

Again, another Mustang tail light. So I realized the old futurists liked to use lots of trapezoidal shapes, as well as gentle swoops and curves accented by sharp creases and angles.

So I'm finally associating the '71-'73 Mustang design language with old futurist design elements and that makes me appreciate our cars even more. Especially the tail lights that I used to hate. Now I actually like them because I see what they were trying to do. The fact that the rear tail light panel, back window (on coupes), and front grille all employ trapezoids in conjunction with the long, gentle sweeps of the body give me an even deeper appreciation for what the Ford designers did in the late 60s.

A good example of the futuristic concept taken to the next level is the Pegasus Mustang. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it serves to highlight what I'm talking about:

Pegasus
298261.jpg

PegasusRear

04-1971-ford-mustang-pegasus.jpg

star_wars-2-d689f92517648cc62ce56fc137295a61254be403.jpg

Even the interior on this one has the 'Space Mountain' look, with sharp angles and trapezoids everywhere. The white and gray theme give it a spaceship feel. See what I'm getting at?

So in conclusion, I think that while the earlier Mustangs have a distinct European sports car flavor (sort of), our '71-'73 ponies have a more space age thing going on. I guess that's why I always got that impression. That, or I'm delusional.

Anyway, had to share with you guys. Back to work! :dodgy:

Back