Most cost efficient way to get horsepower

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 1973 Mustang Coupe that I am fixing up.
Hi, so I have a 73' coupe, a 302 8v. It only has 140 horsepower I think. (I know base V8 coupes have 140 horsepower but the craigslist ad said 180 horsepower) I'm just wondering how much it would cost to get about 40-60 horsepower added and how noticeable would it be?

Thanks,

Travis

Hi, so I have a 73' coupe, a 302 8v. It only has 140 horsepower I think. (I know base V8 coupes have 140 horsepower but the craigslist ad said 180 horsepower) I'm just wondering how much it would cost to get about 40-60 horsepower added and how noticeable would it be?

Thanks,

Travis
cheapest, fastest, easiest way is to add nitrous but if your pistons are cast they will break

I'm sure you'll get other good responses but I think the easiest and most cost effective (i.e. free) way to gain HP is to advance your timing to 16 degrees before TDC and all in at 36 degrees at say 2800-3000 rpm. Tech Advisor C9zx taught me that one. ;)

Read up on porting heads, im sure there is some horsepower to squeeze out of the stockers for free! Or i belive gt40 heads off newer 302s will be an improvement and can probably be found in the junk yard.

I'm sure you'll get other good responses but I think the easiest and most cost effective (i.e. free) way to gain HP is to advance your timing to 16 degrees before TDC and all in at 36 degrees at say 2800-3000 rpm. Tech Advisor C9zx taught me that one. ;)

How much horsepower can that add?

Over the years, I have learned that when folks ask about "more horsepower" for "street cars" they are generally concerned with "more torque" which is most relevant for street applications.

In that case, the quickest way is a change in overall gear ratio, whether that is through a higher (numerical) rear end gear or shorter tires. Of course, a change to a different first geared transmission will also fill the build.

So, the question is, "what do you really want different" from your mustang as it relates to performance? With that information, we can probably steer you in the "right" direction.

BT

What is your current compression ratio? The Edelbrock "recipe" for 300hp is their heads, intake and the ford E-303 cam (220/220 @ .050"). I have seen aluminum GT-40 heads in CL for a fairly good price. Those heads with a simply "clean up", E-Brock performer intake and a similar cam should get you well over 250hp.

Over the years, I have learned that when folks ask about "more horsepower" for "street cars" they are generally concerned with "more torque" which is most relevant for street applications.

In that case, the quickest way is a change in overall gear ratio, whether that is through a higher (numerical) rear end gear or shorter tires. Of course, a change to a different first geared transmission will also fill the build.

So, the question is, "what do you really want different" from your mustang as it relates to performance? With that information, we can probably steer you in the "right" direction.

BT
I totally agree with that. Changing the rear gear can really wake a car up.

Travis,

A slightly modified question may be, "I have ~X~ amount of dollars to spend, how much performance can I buy with it".

Honestly, figure out what you have to spend, and what your mechanical capabilities are? Used parts can often be found at a deal, but also may need adjustment or tweaking to work for your application.

It's a loaded question no matter how you slice it.

Be prepared for many suggestions and opinions ... ;)

BT
All have good suggestions but BT nailed it. You have to (realistically) define what the purpose of the car and then develop a plan to get you there.

Thanks,

Travis
As a friend of mine says, "Speed cost money. How fast do you want to go?"

40 to 60 hp is very noticeable. You need to determine how much you want to spend and what your intent is for this extra power.

Also, will you want to upgrade the motor again? You can go out and get a bunch of stuff for a healthy 302 and realize you want a 351 (W or C). Gears are nice and noticeable in the "seat of the pants", maybe a 2 1/2" dual exhaust. I agree you need to figure out what you want to end up with "tomorrow". It may not even be a 302 based motor. How much $ do you have to play with? You could water it and let it grow or you could start stock piling parts.

How much horsepower can that add?
depends on how low your timing is now and your engine build but the factory distributors do not have as much advance as most engines can use . in your case, you might get 8 more total.

BT
I'm just wanting a faster acceleration and a little bit more power

Thanks,

Travis
What kind of carburetor is on this thing? If it's a 2 barrel I'd swap the intake and carb to 4 barrel. You can find 302 intakes at junkyards on trucks pretty easily and just the fact that the primaries on a 4 barrel are smaller than the venturies on a 2 barrel will add a little low end. Plus it will flow more overall adding some to the top.

I'm just wanting a faster acceleration and a little bit more power
In that case numerically higher gears will get you there when it comes to acceleration.

I will be able to tell you how much it makes in about two weeks as I ordered 3.8 gears to replace my current 3.0.

I'm really looking forward to that! :)

ok, if you go 2 steps numerically higher in gears it will feel like it has 40 more hp and will feel like it is taking off in the next lower gear if you had one.

3.50 gears cause an engine to rev pretty high on the freeway so i wouldn't recommend them for long trips at 70 mph.

3.25 is a good balance between street and freeway.

if your compression is less than around 160, you can increase power by increasing compression.

if your ignition is stock you can but mr gasket advance springs p/n 925 and replace the heavier of the two stock ford springs . . connect your vacuum advance to ported vac.

buy 1.65 intake and 1.70 exhaust rocker arms.

buy hedman elite brand shorty headers.

use 2" - 2 1./4" dual exhaust with free flow mufflers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back