Issues for Transplanting a 351C Into 250 Body

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I Keep the Original 250 C.I.D. Engine

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I'm picking up a 351C out of an 72 Mach 1 next week thanks to fellow member VAMACH1 and hope to transplant into my 73 Convertible which came with a 250 6 cylinder and C4 Auto. My vert is 99% original and the 6 cyl is an OK cruiser so I still haven't 100% convinced myself to do the conversion yet.

I've picked ups bits and pieces of information regarding the fact there are different Motor Mounts and/or Brackets between the 73 and 71/2 Mustangs. Also I assume I will need a different engine wiring harness.

My 73 Convertible already has power disc brakes and I remember reading a while back the 6 cyl converts came stock with the V8 coil springs.

If anyone here has done a similar conversion or has information about what all needs changing I would appreciate it.

Don't forget to vote in the poll above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably not much help but I am replacing a 250 in the 72 coupe. So far, all I needed to find was the proper engine frame brackets for a V8. If I remember, the verts require a different set of frame brackets that the coupes and fastbacks. Most everything else looks like it will work so far less a few minor things like throttle linkage and pulleys and stuff. Don from Ohio Mustang should be able to hook you up with everything you need to convert. The 250 cars are pretty much V8 cars with an economy engine installed! :D

a convertible is a nice car regardless what you do to it!!! however, if i was the owner of your nice convertible or any other convertible. i'd keep whatever motor in it it has now.

personally i'd ditch the 351c idea. have you ever seen what people can do to the 6cyl nowadays? www.fordsix.com.

i'd put that money you would spend for the 351c rebuilt and beefing up the c4 and the bellhousing to take the power of the 351c. and not hassel with the motor swap and purchase a alumium head for your 250 and install a t5 in her.

i'd be more proud to get a peppy 6cyl with alot more oomph than other 6cyl and have close to the power of a 302 or even.

give it a thought.

there are some guys who have 13 second 200 6cyl mustangs and still getting 17-20mpg!!!

if you want to go wild, there are guys doing 12's with a turbo applications!

if it were me, a T5 application is a mustang. www.moderndriveline.com has everything you need to go that route. or you can wait for www.americanpowertrain.com to figure out the hydromax system for us as well.

an alumium head and a 390 4v set up with a warmed up cam would get you something really nice!!! it'll be torquey as hell and will be as fast a 302 and better with the T5. on a 200 7 main set up, you can spin safely to 7000rpms.

KEEP THE 6 BANGER BROTHER!!! be unique and don't copy our 351C's and 460's bro!!! my wife had a 66 mustang 200 6cyl as her first car and we got 21mph purely stock!

Hey, Mike, I love my 351 and can't wait to hear her scream, but what Olie says makes a lot of sense. A souped up 250 would be something to see and hear - you don't come across them every day, for sure.

Doc

As to the springs, they are the same BUT they have different and varied tension rate - - dependent upon the motor installed from the "factory."

That having been said, I am a firm believer in BIG blocks, preferably something in the 500 cubic inch range:)! I would say think about what you want from the car MOST of the time and build in that direction.

It is ABSOLUTELY wonderful to have choices, isn't it?

BT

My vote is for the cleveland swap but a short story on a 67-69 camaro (not exactly sure of the year) when I was growing up. We used to spend alot of time at the university hang out area. There was a little plain jane camaro with a turbo six cylinder that blistered a lot of V8 behinds. That said still 351c:p

My 65 is a T code 6 cyl. I've since upgraded the spindles, springs, rear leafs, and added a 9 inch 3.50 rear. It had a 351w engine & the Tremec 3550 trans. The 351w is toast and I'm seriously thinking about building a stout 200 6 and a T5 for the fun of it. The other option is building a 5.0 efi to drop in there.

Since you already have the 6 I would build it up & have an original (in spirit) 6 cal car. You can call it your big block since the 250 is the big block of the sixes. ;)

I say T5, aluminum headed 250 6cyl topped with a 390 4v carb! Turbo down the road. Oh yeah, add in a n much stronger cam!!!

I once had a 65 with a built I6 that beat everybody and I mean everybody 0 to 35 and did 13.5 in the quarter.

Guess how surprised everyone was to find out it was only a straight 6.

Back