broken screws

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
IMG_1216.JPGAny suggestions on how to remove three broken screws from the top of the shifter quadrant assembly ? Really nothing left of the screw to get a grip on. Here is a photo ...thanks. It is the 3 screws that hold down the assembly.IMG_1216.JPG

Fit a fender washer over the screw. Weld the washer to the stud. Weld a nut to the washer. By the time you do this the heat would have loosened the screw thread. Back it out with an impact driver if it's still tight

Fit a fender washer over the screw. Weld the washer to the stud. Weld a nut to the washer. By the time you do this the heat would have loosened the screw thread. Back it out with an impact driver if it's still tight
Great idea ! Unfortunately I don't have the ability or equipment to do that ... wish I did. Thanks

Great idea ! Unfortunately I don't have the ability or equipment to do that ... wish I did. Thanks
Drill them and use an EZ_out. This has a reverse thread so that as it threads in, it is turning the screw out ( counterclockwise ). Most auto places or sears sells them.

Without a welder. I have ground down the tower enough to get a good vice grip on the screw. I use kroll or a home mix of mineral spirits and ATF 50/50 on stubborn screws.

Back