shifter quadrant light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Any suggestions .... light that illuminates shifter quadrant will not work. Tested the bulb ... it is good. All the other dash lights /interior lights work. Is there a seperate fuse for this bulb. All the wiring at the shifter looks good, good grounds, no corrosion. The wires taht feed this bulb exit the shifter housing thru a black rubber plug and go into the transmission tunnel. Thanks for any advice.IMG_1217.JPGIMG_1217.JPG

Check for twelve volts on the brown wire. If none follow the wire until you get to the source.
thanks, I was afraid you would say that !

Check for twelve volts on the brown wire. If none follow the wire until you get to the source.
the picture does not show that the second brown wire is a ground which attaches to one of the mounting bolts out of the picture. I did check for voltage with the parking lights on and did not get a reading. I looked at the electrical wiring schematic that is on this site for a 1973. It looks like the brown(hot wire) runs to the headlight switch and or the headlight warning buzzer. I am not real good at reading the schematics. Wonder if anyone could double check this for me. I did replace the headlight switch less than a year ago with a new one and all other lights work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The brown wire is part of the marker/side lamps system. If those work, then I'd start chasing the brown wire for a break. You said no voltage there, but did you have a good ground during the check? Did you check it with the headlight knob pulled out?

No fuse for this line.

The brown wire is part of the marker/side lamps system. If those work, then I'd start chasing the brown wire for a break. You said no voltage there, but did you have a good ground during the check? Did you check it with the headlight knob pulled out?

No fuse for this line.
Hello,

Checked my parking lights and found that the driver's side marker light was out. Bulb was good so I cleaned up the housing and got it working .... so much fun to put the bulb and holder back in the marker light housing ... don't think they could of made it harder if they set out to design it that way. At any rate no effect on the shifter bulb, so I looked under the hood for any brown wires near the trans/ back of the engine. Since my motor has been out of the car once and who ever had the car before me forgot to connect some items I thought it would be worth checking. I found the brown wire for the shifter bulb was unplugged. Cleaned it up, plugged it in and now it works. Thanks for the advice.

Aha! Glad I could point you in the right direction.

Back