production numbers ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By sifting through the data, almost any car can be a one-of-one. In my opinion too many make a big deal of that. While it interesting it does not necessarily add to the value. Sometimes it may actually decrease the value.

For me, the production numbers that really describe rarity are the drivetrain. That is where is should start. It should be rare at that point - then you can drill down from there.

But even the drivetrain production numbers do not always equal higher value. On a side not: I saw a car being advertised as on-of-one because it was the "one" delivered to a specific DSO! = Didn't work for me.

I think if any car has a driveline configuration that makes it less that 2500 built (very subjective number!!), is a good break-point to indicate rarity. But it gets tricky and is all a matter of personal experiences and point-of-reference.

I have a Boss 351 but know some who find my car very plain "for a Boss". Their focus is for Boss 351's. They don't see my car as rare. But in its 'as delivered' configuration with Power Steering and Power Brakes, and Wimbledon White paint and standard vinyl interior it is slightly rare. (While I have drilled it down before to determine this - I should rquest actual numbers from Kevin Marti --- someday.. :) ) Point here being rarity depends on where your focus is placed.

Boss 351's represent approx 1% of all 1971 Mustangs built. (1806/149678)

I hope this helps. :)

Ray

Happy you mentioned drivetrain as a place to focus.

According to Mustang ....by the Numbers, there were

419 HT models with an M code engine and 5 tranny.

But if you parse out Grande that is 100.

That is why I am being very careful who I let work

on the car.

mike

It is possible that every 1965 mustang made was different. With the number of options they offered back then it is possible so the one of one does not carry much.

I have a 1972 Mach 1 T-5, German model, Q code, 4 speed, deluxe interior etc, etc, that got crashed back in the 70's. A front clip would fix it. It is the only one of these I have ever seen but not worth fixing so it sets and rusts outside. So numbers do not add value, or special does not add value. Peoples perception of the car adds value. You could get a Boss 429 mustang in 1974 for $1,000 due to no gas to burn. People did not want them they wanted gas mileage. The perception changed and now they are valuable. When those people die off and the perception changes with a new group of people the prices will drop again. Your grandfather valued his Model T highly but you probably have never even thought of wanting one.

David

It was once said to me, that rare also means not so popular when it was new. So this means sometimes actually worth less down the road. Case in point eons ago as a young motor head I had a 1966 Mustang coupe with a K code motor option, more commonly known as a "hipo" but it also had a bench seat, which was also a factory option then. Many times other car buffs remarked to me that they would yank that seat out and replace it with buckets. So there you have it, a rare motor option that is very desirable (translates into +$) but a rare but not so well liked bench seat (translates into -$). But I wish I still had this car back....even with the bench seat!!

Mac

Very well explained!

Thanks!! I have learned a lot from this site and its knowledgeable members!!

Happy you mentioned drivetrain as a place to focus.

According to Mustang ....by the Numbers, there were

419 HT models with an M code engine and 5 tranny.

But if you parse out Grande that is 100.

That is why I am being very careful who I let work

on the car.

mike
Yes Mike - I really appreciate your car - wolf in sheep's clothing...

Extremely rare to see a 4 speed in any Grande!! BTW I like regular Grandes too but the performance added it just cool.

David and Mac - I like both of the cars you mentioned! They both have performance with some 'oddities' = cool to me.

Q code T5 then a K code coupe w/bench seat. Both different enough to demand attention in my book.

Ray

Rare is good but condition plays a huge factor as well.

Would you buy an rcode needing a full resto or a pristine stick mcode?

And if you plan to drive it as often as possible, would an rcode be a wise decision?

Maybe not, especially if you want to make it your own.

People with trailer queens didn't start out that way. (You reach a point where financial common sense kicks in).

My $0.02 worth.

David again,

I bought a couple of those bench seats people pulled out. I thought they were neat looked exactly like the buckets with the fold down arm rest. I think I paid like $50.00 for one and $40.00 for the other. One is going in a 65 A code 4 speed vert. and the other in 2-V auto 65 vert. for my son and daughter. Have all the pieces and cars have been in storage for 41 years.

I am one of those you hear about a hoarder, lol. They use to be very cheap nobody wanted them.

David

Fifty 1972 sprint convertibles - that's pretty low.

Any 1972 351 HO - 398 incl 19 ht and 13 convertibles.

Any 1971 428 Coupe (86) or convertible (42).
Pretty sure you meant 1971 429 instead of 428. LOL

BT

Fifty 1972 sprint convertibles - that's pretty low.

Any 1972 351 HO - 398 incl 19 ht and 13 convertibles.

Any 1971 428 Coupe (86) or convertible (42).
I'm sure Rex meant 429 - not 428.

Only 398 351 HO Mustangs made in '72, with just 14 being (01) hardtops and 5 being (04) Grande's.

I referenced this from a couple of magazine articles and some Marti reports.

But - I have never seen an HO Grande - ever.

Ray

One of my favorite topics. In my opinion all above are correct. My 67 convertible happens to be one of 35! However it only ranks that way due to the Sprint Package and the V8 and Color combination. She only sports the 289 and C4 so she is just a 2v average performance pack.

So this brings in the "eyes of the beholder" issue. All of you guys just say I have a standard run of the mill car not worth what the others are worth. The value would be if it was a 390 car according to the cool guys in the know. However, my car is a survivor and the paint is faded, road worthiness is showing on her. At car shows I have MORE people looking at mine than most of the other cars consistently. As for resale value? To you guys you would only pay for the convertible aspect, others would buy it for the convertible aspect and the one of 35 cars painted Diamond Blue in 1967 of which only 3 are left and I seek and track these constantly.

So lets look at it this from another view... a 429 /351 Q/R code /etc car is just a mustang with a bigger motor installed at the time of production. Or in the case of Mach I...its just a little bit of striping, a few gauges, possible console and just the same as a sport roof. Ohhh what about havig a delete plate...woooWE that makes it special?

I can install a 429 in mine or dare someone to race THEIR 429 against mine any day, my Mach I and little H code is as cool as any :D:D:D

Back