Light out for AC/heat control panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
The light is out for my AC/Heat control panel. Is there an easy way to get to it or do I have to take the dash apart again. Any short cuts would be appreciated.

John J

there is actually too much in the way to reach behind and even attempt to swap the bulb that goes into the back of the heater/ac control.

here is some pics

now the red connector and black and white wire is for the bulb.

from my memory,,, even if you remove the radio there is no access below because the dash frame extends below the radio. the radio had a ground clip that snaps into the lower dash as well....

so you would need to first remove the radio, removing the cover plate and then pulling the radio out, next you need to release the 2 screws going into the dash pad. sometimes the dash pad gives you room to manuver sometimes not, so you may need to remove the screws holding the dash pad down on the left and right. If you have a center console you will need to remove that as well.

that will give you the room to drop the center dash cluster down and try to gain access to the bulb socket. you may need to go further in removing the controls there are the electrical connectors the wire cable for the heater door and the octopus hose connector, that will allow the entire center dash to be pulled out.

i wish there was an easy way to get to that bulb... i would recommend replacing it with an led and then testing it like a pre install.

Here are a few more screen shots from a couple little videos I shot when overhauling my unit (mine is from a 69 with AC, but basically the same).

Note that the positioning of the selector left/right slider lever will affect reach to this bulb as the 2 pics show. The bulb is a 1445 bulb (same as the one in your transmission indicator) I replaced mine with a BA9S single pole cool white LED from hipo parts (3rd pic shows what that looks like now). The bulb socket is a friction fit inside a metal hole in the switch assembly.

It will be hard to get to (if not damn near impossible.. :-/) but you might have a shot at wiggling it free with your arm up in there and your hand on or near the socket and its wire. Note that there is a metal clip to hold the wire for the light on the drivers side of the assembly (you can see it on the edge of the metal plate in the pics. It just slides on, but I'd recommend removing it before you try to get the socket out, as it restricts the socket movement by restricting the wire movement. If you can get the socket free, stick in the other bulb, pull the headlight switch at least halfway out (so the bulb should be ON) and touch the metal bulb socket to metal (ground) to make sure it lights up. Once the new bulb is sure to work, guide the socket back to its housing and if you get it in the right position, and and give it a good push, it might go into the hole to stay.

I'd say you have a remote chance at getting it replaced without removing anything, but if you remove the radio, I think you are good. my radio was out when I put mine back and I swapped the bulb while in the dash rather easily in that config.

Good luck! Post pics if you can! it helps lots of folks!

Jay

pic1.png

pic 2.png

pic 3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back