New to the site

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike Morelli

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 ram air 351c H-code, fmx, ps,pb, medium yellow-gold, hubcaps and beauty rings.
I posted some info regarding the useage of my car in a movie. I was asked to introduce myself. Spike Morelli, I am the engine assembler at a well known engine shop that's been in business for 50 years. Prior to this, I was an aircraft mechanic, and maintained a car collection for a private individual, so, I'm good with the mechanical end of things. My car is a 1971 Mustang Mach 1, 351c ram air, ps, pb, automatic, 9" traction-loc with 3.50 gears. California car.

I bought the car used in '90 for $1000.oo, same paint,and have been driving it every day since for the last 25 years. I own dragboats, which are in the garage, so my Mach 1 never goes in there, but gets parked in the driveway. I have to say, I've owned and driven many cars, different makes, and this Mustang has been one of the best...totally reliable, 380 thou on the odometer, I tow the boats with it, good power, no overheating. Suprisingly, many people get just as big a kick out of my tow vehicle than they do from the big blown Chrysler powered Hemi hydro or the twin injected Chevy dragboat that I tow. Save for the tow hitch set-up, a trans cooler, electric trailer brakes added, Pertronix triggered ignition, rear end gear ratio change and an added set of Traction Masters ( all for better towing ), the car remains stock.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Great story - I'm sure you'll have plenty to share after putting that many miles on one of our favorite Mustangs!

Pics are highly appreciated!

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an interesting story for sure. Your Mustang is a workhorse and still looks awesome. I really have to see that movie now. To me your car is the star in the movie. Welcome from Houston, Texas![/i]

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Btw, did you leave the decal on the roof after filming? I think it looks pretty cool.
No, I didn't leave the applique' ( vinyl static cling type ) on the roof. I did, however, keep it. I stuck it to a very large sheet of waxed paper and rolled it up, then stored it in the garage for safe keeping. I asked the actress who played "Mary Death" to sign my glove box door after the movie crew was done shooting. Most mustang ( Shelby ) guys want Carrol Shelby's signature on their glove boxes........I have Mary Death's signature in a big gold paint pen on my glove box, just in case the movie would someday become a cult classic.

There's a scene where my car gets blown up in the movie. To accomplish this, a photo crew walked around the car and took pictures from every angle. through computer generated imagery ( CGI ), my car's looks were digitally pasted onto a beat up Chevy Nova, which was firebombed in the scene, but looked like my '71 Mach 1, all done with computers. You can imagine the look on my face when the film's director told me, "Hey man, we blew up your car today".

I trust you have Mary Death's panties hanging on the mirror! That would make the car priceless!

Watched it ages ago...The stang was a very pleasant surprise. For those who haven't seen it, if you don't like blood and gore, please don't watch it.

He he, now that'll get everyone to watch it.

Here's a photo taken in a motel parking lot one morning of two competitors, and myself, all towing our Blown Gas Hydros behind our passenger cars. I can't figure out how to attach more than one photo at a time, so I'll post once more, a bit off-topic, with a shot of my dragboat that I tow.

...One of the two dragboats that the Mach 1 tows...

3 blown gas hydros tow vehicles.jpg

View attachment 27198

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from West Central Florida where thunderstorms and constant rain from April to October become the enemy of classic car daily drivers. Interesting that you use your Mach 1 as a daily driver.

I tried driving my 1971 Mach 1 M Code as a daily driver back in 1999-2000. Only lasted a year due to the constant heavy rains.

Choose instead to go back to my trusted 1979 Thunderbird as a daily driver; it has better AC capabilities in searing heat and humidity, power windows, improved visibility and road handling. 400,000 miles, new tranny, three new timing chains later, with some rust showing, the 302 powered Bird keeps rolling on.

Back