73 Mustang Problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian351c

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Fastback.
Engine: 351 Cleveland
Transmission: C6
Project/Daily Driver.
All major parts are original.
Second owner.
I have a 1973 Fastback, and since January its been giving me a variety of problems. The idle of the car is very low and turns off if I dont slap it into neutral and give it a little gas to get the rpms back up. Another would be I cant go over 60-70 mph or the car starts to jump and backfire loudly. I still drive it atleast once a week but its a hassle because it stalls almost evertime I drive, its my only car and its costed me a job. If you guys need more info let me know.

All major components are original.

Im 18 so please bear with me.

Welcome to the site from Virginia. It's great to hear the younger generation likes the old Mustangs.

I'm sure you will get a lot of good tips here on your problem. The first thing I would check would be the fuel filter. If you have the original gas tank it is probably full of rust and is clogging your filter and carb.

Welcome from northern California.

mike

I have a 1973 Fastback, and since January its been giving me a variety of problems. The idle of the car is very low and turns off if I dont slap it into neutral and give it a little gas to get the rpms back up. Another would be I cant go over 60-70 mph or the car starts to jump and backfire loudly. I still drive it atleast once a week but its a hassle because it stalls almost evertime I drive, its my only car and its costed me a job. If you guys need more info let me know.

I am going to guess a timing issue.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site from Virginia. It's great to hear the younger generation likes the old Mustangs.

I'm sure you will get a lot of good tips here on your problem. The first thing I would check would be the fuel filter. If you have the original gas tank it is probably full of rust and is clogging your filter and carb.
Yeah I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the gas tank, and replaced the little thing that goes on top of it.

mike

mike
Why do you think that? I believe I got it timed in November, replaced the internals of the distrbuter as well.

Tune UP

Points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, plugs?

Best upgrade is electronic ignition... Bye Bye points!

Welcome to the expensive toy club from CA
Yeah did all that not too long ago. Been wanting to go electronic but I don't have the funds right now

Yeah I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the gas tank, and replaced the little thing that goes on top of it.

mike

mike
Why do you think that? I believe I got it timed in November, replaced the internals of the distrbuter as well.
It Could be causing your problem and is easy to check.

Just turn the distributor a smidge and I do mean a small amount,

one way and see if it makes a difference. If it gets worse or better

you may be on to something.

mike

Turn left or right? And I just grab from the base or the cap?

Hello U in CA

Welcome neighbor what part of CA?
Fontana, Ca

Been there for the NASCAR Races!

Yer a bit far away for me to diagnose it personally.

Some things to check:

Watch engine running at dark for spark jumping from wires.

Cracked dist cap.

Flat Cam

Burnt valve

start with compression test and watch rockers

Basics: suck squeeze bang blow

Wish you were closer

Good luck

Welcome from the Gulf Coast. ::welcome::

You say that you've replaced this stuff and cleaned the tank. What did you do with the old fuel? Ethanol is sorry fuel and doesn't last forever. It's only good for a short period and you don't know how long it was in the station's tank prior to you purchasing it. :dodgy:

You say that you drive it least once a week but for how far and how long? Buying a full tank of gas and letting it sit isn't good. I've already been through the bit with the "bad" gas and its a real pain, both financial and inconvenience. Living on the west coast you don't have many options of what fuel to use. Check out this site;

http.//pure-gas.org/

maybe something is close to you. I would also look for a vacuum leak.

Good luck with it. :)

+1 on the vacuum leak. Check all of the hoses and PCV valve. Make sure all of the nuts holding down the carb are snug. With it running you can pour some water around on the intake manifold gasket, see if it changes the idle. You didn't say anything about having brake problems, so the hose to the brake booster and the booster diaphragm are probably OK.

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

I hope you'll get your problems sorted out with all those tips.

Please remember to post a pin on the member map under "fun stuff" at the top right of the page.

Hi matey. To put it in perspective, when most of us here were 18, the technology of our cars was exactly what you are driving now.

Other than your car having aged, everybody had them as daily drivers! (And we survived!). He he..

Everything wears out eventually... Fix it to a point where it reliable again, and it will server you well.

Simple technology means simple to diagnose and fix ...we don't need no stinking modern technology in our cars, do we guys!

(Sent from from a wireless keyboard connected to my iPad, connected via mobile hotspot to my iphone)

I would pull a plug and look at it. I think your condition could easily be ignition related. Even with new parts coils and condenser failures are somewhat common. With a weak spark the car will idle poorly will not rev well and it usually gets worse as the car heats up the ignition coil.

Back