71 Door Panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verdelizard

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
351 Cleveland
I'm starting to work on the interior and I need to install the door panels. I've got the 71 Deluxe/Mach 1 Door panels and I'm just wondering about the best way to cut holes in them for the door handles, power window buttons, etc..

Here are the panels:

IMG_3655.jpg

Any advice on cutting or installing them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the panels on Ice (my '73 Grande) with the Mach I panels and did not have to make any cuts. The panels came with the appropriate "holes."

I do not have power windows and used the hole in the panel (your photograph) for the manual crank. How does that hole match up with your power window "button?"

There was a piece on the bottom of the panel (maintained by a screw) where the door handle went. Unfortunately, the car is at the Restorer/Painter so I cannot post up photographs right now.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with a more substantive response.

BT

i used a dremel to cut mine out took a while to get the holes just right for the plastic door handle cup.

you will also need to transfer all the hardware over from your original door.

thou now in 2010 there are a lot more reproduction parts availiable for the door then when i did it in 2005.

when you make the cuts in the plastic,, cut the door from behind(plastic side), punch a much smaller hole in the vinyl so you can cover up any mistakes, leave extra material to wrap around the cut edges around the door cups.

carefully align the door handle before you make any drill holes for the support brackets, the doors will vary a lot so try to align it to the ribbing design but due to the way the plastic is molded you will have to compromise with adjustment.

once you get all the finish trim aligned and setup you will have to make adjustments to the clips slots on the back side, you will find a lot of misalignment due to the plastic shrinking after vacuum molding on the door, some holes will need to be elongated or shifted over.

i found the best way to do it was to put all the clips in then go out to the car and start aligning the clips into the holes in the door, when one would not align i would mark it and then figure out which way it needed to go, it was tedious and took me hours for each door.

if you have electric windows and our cutouts for the Fm/am radio door speakers you will need to transfer the dimensions from the old door to cut it right.

as of now you can get the windlace with the chrome, the lower chrome strip, the faux wood panel, the handles and the chrome gromit for the door lock all

and the plastic for the door handle cups, and the chrome lever for the door lock, also you can get the speaker grill all reproduction as of 2010.

in 2005 all you had was the panel and the wind lace, the cups, and the handle.

you will need the hardware from the door grab handles(L bracket),

as far as the window crank everything is reproduced now, the crank handle the chrome ring the decal to hide the screw, and even the door crank spring that goes behind the panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found them at two different places, since I don't have a lot to do while waiting for parts to arrive. This is what I found for the 73 vert:

Metro Parts Market: "Our door panels are upholstered with the original material, mounted on precision die-cut fiberboard. Colors and textures are identical to the originals. Includes chrome plated plastic trim where appropriate." PN D1ZZ-65239423-STD. $144.95/pr

Laurel Mountain Mustang: "Standard White Door Panels". PNDPS7W. $94.95/pr

Might be what you're looking for.

Doc

Standard door panels are 89.95

Deluxe are quite a bit more

Don

I found them at two different places, since I don't have a lot to do while waiting for parts to arrive. This is what I found for the 73 vert:

Metro Parts Market: "Our door panels are upholstered with the original material, mounted on precision die-cut fiberboard. Colors and textures are identical to the originals. Includes chrome plated plastic trim where appropriate." PN D1ZZ-65239423-STD. $144.95/pr

Laurel Mountain Mustang: "Standard White Door Panels". PNDPS7W. $94.95/pr

Might be what you're looking for.

Doc
Sorry, $144.95 is wrong - the Metro Parts Market price is really $114.95 (that's why I said, "$115"). Sorry about the typo.

But I strongly recommend checking out OMS for ANY part before you spend time trying to find something cheaper. I had plenty of time to look around, and OMS had the cheapest, good quality parts I could find. My only problem was that my wife "downsized" our credit cards to one for each of us, and mine is an American Express (low interest rate for me, but they charge a butt load of fees to the vendors who use them). So I had to use another vendor for my first purchase. But Don, I'm going to figure out a way to get my parts from you, even if I have to "borrow" my wife's VISA. :)

Doc

Doc

I used a hand held hacksaw blade to cut the holes in my new deluxe panels. Be careful when doing the carpeted area making sure that it cuts the carpet and doesn't pull it.

I thought the hacksaw would be easier to control than the jigsaw.... you gotta luv them power tools! dancebanana

While we're on the subject of door panels.I have a '72 Mach 1 under restoration at present ,and I see they make reproductions of the deluxe door panels in just about every color excluding dark green.Is painting white door panels the only way to go?Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on this one! Lloyd

I need Dark green as well, I ended up painting a pair of black ones for now.

I think white may show thru too noticeble if scratched.

Also there was a place on ebay that told be to send the a green sample and they would make it. It was a shop that specialized in door panels and they made some of the best quality ones. They were about $400 a pair. Sorry I cant remember the name, it may be this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Deluxe-Door-Panel-S-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf075a3a0QQitemZ330451755936QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Back