Hood Springs and Hinges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback
When I open my hood I have to walk it side to side to get it fully open. When I close it, I have to push down on the hood where the hinge is. Do I have a hinge problem, spring problem or both.

Thanks

Larry

When I open my hood I have to walk it side to side to get it fully open. When I close it, I have to push down on the hood where the hinge is. Do I have a hinge problem, spring problem or both.

Thanks

Larry
I believe what you have on your hands is the same thing the rest of us have..........a Mustang:D

All joking aside I think it is merely a lubrication problem. get every hinge point on the structure lubed up well and work them open and closed a dozen times or so and see what happens.

I would spray a SMALL amount of WD-40 or similar lube on the hinge pivot points. Then have some one to raise and lower the hood slowly while you "Help" the hinges until they loosen. Small amount because if the hinges are really worn then you'll have a hood that won't stay up. This was a problem that came about with the appearance of "Hide away wipers" which put the wipers and cowl below the rear of hood and moved the hood hinges forward and put an unbelievable amount of stress on the hinges. When I was at the Dealership I saw a lot bent hoods and dry bent hinges. Was good for part sales!! If your hinges are worn I'm sure Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or CJ's Pony Parts can help you.

Emphasis on small amount of lube or you will end up like those of us that can't keep our hoods open. I finally got the ram springs to keep our hood open

It will fall on you for sure after you lube it. That hood is too heavy for standard springs. The lack of lube is probably the only thing keeping the hood up. I'd do a joint at a time till you have the free movement you want.

I had the same problem and I agree a small amount of lube one joint at a time until it works freely. To much lube and it's going to come down on your head. OUCH! those NASA hoods are heavy and hurt a lot. To answer your question though you probably need to replace both the hinge and the springs and both are available reproduction except only the standard spring is being repro at this time, but they will do the job.

I had that problem with new hinges. I had a difficult time opening the hood, because my left arm is messed up & doesn't work. I have to use right arm only to open that 5 foot hood. I dabbed a small amount of penetrating oil on the pivot points with a Q-tip. Works great now. But like mrmach1 said, don't over do it. :)

My hood used to stay up before I lubed it. Now I have to use a prop stick. It did fall on me once and punched a large hole in my forearm... not fun. At the suggestion of a forum member I bought a hood prop off a fiero site for $15. Just haven't installed it yet. Good luck!

My hood used to stay up before I lubed it. Now I have to use a prop stick. It did fall on me once and punched a large hole in my forearm... not fun. At the suggestion of a forum member I bought a hood prop off a fiero site for $15. Just haven't installed it yet. Good luck!
Thanks, that would be a simple fix.

We picked up a set of the flat ram springs and now the hood stays up just fine. Too bad they aren't re-popped

Back