front end alignment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
I need to get a front end alignment on my 72 Mach 1. The PO who restored the car never did one & it pulls pretty bad to the right. I called a local shop that specializes in classic cars & hot rods. They quoted me at about 200 bucks. Is that a fair price? Seemed pretty high, but not sure. The entire front end suspension has all been replaced, so I shouldn't need any parts. Thank's for any feed back.

Seems high considering there won't be parts needed. I would figure $75 or less

I had a local shop do a complete alignment on my '97 Ram 4x4 (hint: four wheel drive) for $59.99... with lifetime "adjustments" as necessary (minus parts & labor for replacing said parts, of course).

$60 for lifetime on a 4x4. Yeah... $200 is too much.

200.00 is a rip UNLESS you have a major problem..

Should be no more than 100.00 tops & thats on a state of the art computerized laser alignment rack..I spent over 2 hours with the alignment tech on mine non stock alignment state of the art machine they charged me 75.00 it's not the first car I've had done there, never more than 75.00 & they let me out in the shop work with the tech spec out my alignment of course my suspension was all new no rusted parts or any problems with stripped bolts or rusted fasteners

If the car has been completely apart you might need all four wheels aligned. When you see a vehicle going down the road "dog tracking" or running sort of sideways it is usually the rear out of align. Racers do that some to make them turn better on circle tracks. I slid my 2 day old Maverick grabber into a curb sideways and turned it up on two wheels. Ruined the two left wheels and trim rings got them replaced, refaced the axle and took back to Ford and told them it was out of alignment, lol. They had to chain it down and pull the rear back in alignment along with resetting the front. Shop manager said he had never seen a new car that far out, didn't tell them I almost rolled it.

Have someone drive behind you and see if the car is tracking straight or sideways.

David

Thank you guys, I guess I didn't think about rear possibly being out. I just got back from the first drive of the year, Finally! Its running good, but is pulling to the right. I stopped at local parts store to grab a few things & asked if they could recommend any place. They told me about guy that's real good with the older cars. Has his own certified shop, I just never heard of it. I mentioned the place I called that wanted 200 & they also agreed that was a lot.

I also stopped at another garage I know of, but they don't do alignments, & they also recommended the same guy. I think I'll give him a call & see what he does it for. Plus, this guy is close & sounds like he knows what he's doing.

I don't think the back is out of line, it doesn't seem like it's dog tracking, but will for sure have it checked. Thank's again all :)

There is no adjustment per say for the rear on our cars like a corvette or new car.. when a competent alignment shop with a newer alignment rack checks the car it will check the rear too to make sure its in spec or the proper term for our cars would be thrust angle.. if the thrust angle of the rear is out then it must be fixed..If all components are good then it's a frame problem which almost all alignment shops are not equipped to repair.. dog tracking results when the fronts are set to compensate for the rear thrust angle being out ..heres some good general reading

http://www.carparts.com/alignment.htm#Thrust%20Angle

Back