71-73 Map Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Does anyone know if the map light on 71-73 Mustangs were standard or just optional? And if it's just an option would the under Dash harness still have a dummy plug connector if someone wanted to add it on?

Optional. On every car I've touched had the harness connector there. Easy to add on. 2 screws and plug it in.

72-73 cars the dash harness no longer had the map connector built in.

It gets confusing because the 72-73 might of still had the footwell lighting connectors which would of been part of the convenience lighting group, but the map light circuit is gone unless you got the convenience group option.

71 cars usually had the map connector tucked behind the dash, however late 71 car may or may not.

My early 72 does not have the map connector. Long ago I bought a map light to retrofit my car because I was told all the cars had the connector behind the dash. I found out this was not the case at all. I gave my map light away since I did not want to cut up my dash harness and retrofit the connector.

my car didn't have the Map light connection there, its an January 1972 build.

I used a 4 position trailer wire harness connector w the first 3 pins fit right in, and used that to wire up the map light.

The map light also works with the door switches as a courtesy light

you can wire it in, but its is just more hacking, as imusa76 pointed out. It would of been nice to just plug and play the map light, i just didn't see the benefit of taping into the wiring in 3 more places for a light. had the connector been there i would of just plugged in and added some value otherwise wasn't worth the effort.

Back