I Love your Car.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hey Folks,

Had to pass on this interesting news. A friend and myself were out cruising in my two Mustangs yesterday, and we stopped to have a bite to eat for lunch at a country lake location.

We were chatting away, when a chap approached us, and wanted to do a photo shoot of the two cars. He asked if that was OK, i said yes, and he spent the next 15 minutes snapping away. He was most grateful and thanked us sincerely.

Half an hour later, another guy comes up and compliments us on both the cars, but this time comes straight out and says he wants to buy the blue Mach 1. I was amused,thanked him, but told him the car was not for sale right now. However, he was persistent, and kept on saying he wanted to buy it. We started talking money, and i said i was hoping to get around $40,000 Australian for the car when i eventually get 'round to selling it later on.

He said i'll give you $50,000 for the car, right here, right now. I thought he was maybe joking, but he was serious. He was raving on about how he really loved the car, and he just had to have it. He drew reference to the latest Fast and Furious movies, and said the Mach was like the cars in those movies. I was a little blown away, but declined his generous offer. I took down his contact details, and promised to phone him when i would be ready to sell, and see if he would be interested in buying the car at that point in time. BTW - that's around $39,000 American!

We get back to my place later on after the drive, and i had the Mach parked outside my house on the street for a short while. I come to park it away, and i see another guy taking photos of the car. We start chatting, and he's telling me how much he loves the car as well. He then says, i want to buy your car very much, but right now, i have not got the money to do so. $45,000 + Australian wasn't a problem for him either. He said, i am very jealous and envious of you for owning this car, as he stated he absolutely loved it. He also mentioned Fast and Furious as well. Interesting.

So there you go, two offers in one day, and amazing feedback as well.

Speaks volumes does it not. Only proves what i have come to know, that the public really loves these 123 Mustangs, and the appeal will only grow stronger in time.;)

Pics and lunch on the lake.

001.JPG004.JPG007.JPG011.JPG012.JPG

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Good story.

I had one guy wanted to buy mine in the supermarket parking lot last year.

It´s cool when that happens. :)

Those are two beautiful 73's Greg. I was not aware that you had the blue Mach 1 -when did you get that? I assume you were driving your vert on this outing correct? I would like to know more about that blue Mach 1 as it is my favorite color combo!

Last edited by a moderator:
for GAWD sake contact BOTH of them!!! I'll sell them Black Betty for 40 Australian it will be completely finished with custom interior AND power windows and GUARANTEED to be MUCH faster!!! And YOU get 3000 AMERICAN for the transaction.

NOW that is a deal!!!

Thanks folks,

Yes, it really was a tempting offer, and hard to knock back. Lets see if i get that later on when i decide to sell.:rolleyes:

Hi Steve,

Yes, i was driving the Vert. You could say ours are like sister/brother cars couldn't you. Story is, i bought that car recently around Christmas time from forum member Luke. Luke was selling at a good price, and the car was in basic good condition, with only 19,000 on the clock. It's a very original car, being a one of one on the Marti report. It's got the 351 2V Clevo, rim blow steering wheel, tint glass, factory air, sport's rear seat, blue interior, Luke recently had a new stainless steel exhaust system installed as well. I've just spent $5,500 on mechanical repairs and upgrades, and the car is now spot on. It had an American respray done to it back in the late eighties i'm told, but can't verify that. Zero rust, and accident free. The paint job was of a high standard when done. Interior is in very good original condition. This car has been well looked after all it's life and shows. I think i'm the fourth owner. I plan to upgrade the wheels soon, and at that stage, i'll post some new pics with the new wheels.

So the kill sheet reads,

FMX Tranny

F70 X14 Belted rubber with white lettering

Cal emission testing

Convenience Group

Power steering

Rim blow wheel (which makes the car a one of one would you believe)

Sports deck rear seat

Console

Power front disc brakes

Bumper rub strips

Ford Selectaire aircon

AM/FM radio

Interior decor group

Deluxe seat belts

Tinted glass complete

Power side windows

Competition susension

Color keyed carpeting.

Yeah, she's a dam good car for sure.:)

Hi Dana,

Hmmmmmm, a tempting offer indeed.:)

But don't forget, it costs close to $10,000 to $15,000 Aus to bring your car out here and put it on the road as well.:(

Go on take the money and run as Steve Miller would say!:D

Cheers,

Greg.

Well i hope to have all the sound deadener in it tomorrow evening. I can already tell a BIG difference in how solid and quiet she is with only 2 doors and 1 quarter window done. I spoke to the upholstry shop this week and it'll be about 2 months to get it in. We worked out the details on the "custom" power window switches vs the "OEM" that I originally waited FOUR YEARS to find..... oh well she'll be awesome any way....just a cool car not an ORIGINAL car. THANKS to all those kind souls "just in the business to help others out" lollerz lollerz

So very cool that you had 2 offers in one day!!! Very nice !

Dana,

Thanks,

i take it then you won't be going with the OEM switches now, but settling for modern replacements?

Hi Mike,

Yes i must confess i was a touch disappointed about the Vert, as the Mach stole the day well and truely.:)

Greg.:)

Just two weeks ago, I was involved in a small fender bender of sorts with my '71 Mach 1, actually almost nothing happened to the late model SUV, but the front of my Mach took a beating. Since the urethane bumper is so low compared to modern bumpers, my bumper wasn't what stopped me.....my hood and grille and right front fender took the bump, and aren't useable at all now. I found original parts to replace what I needed, and new paint is coming, but, what I learned was surprising. I LOVE MY CAR. I took it so hard that my car, my buddy, was bent. I couldn't eat. Even though I've had it 25 years and driven it everyday, it's still "Special" to me. So, like I said, it's now got original parts back on her, she's straight, and ready for the original color to go back on. A while back, I was considering getting a new car.....not now, I think I love my car too much to part with it.

It is nice when people approach these cars and are interested in them. These cars aren't the corvettes and cameras that many many people are attracted to.

However, with all the astonishing offers people have thrown at me, I don't know if I could ever sell it. A car is a car, but mine was given to me and handed down through family. If I sold it I couldn't imagine the pain my grandmother would go through to seeing her dad's car with some stranger.

However, that was definitely one handsome offer! It is a beautiful car

Not taking anything away from the Mach 1, but I think I'm favoring the 'vert just a bit more. Both are sweet cars, and I think it's cool how you're keeping the Mach 1 'in the family,' as it were. ;)

Thanks for the pics - they're awesome! ::thumb::

Great story!

I've had people inquire, but nothing I would deem a 'serious' offer. It would take a ridiculous offer as it is; the car is the epitome of 'not for sale'. I've come out of the hardware store a number of times to find people taking photos or just standing around looking at it. There is just something inherently cool about these cars.

I got offered $30,000.00 US & didn't really think twice about it. I had just gotten it & still wanted to have fun. Could have made a quick 6k, but no way, I love this car!

Call him and give him my info. I'll build him whatever car he wants and ship it out there. Been there and done that once already last year. ;)

Back