Switched to Antique Plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I finally decided to switch over to Virginia's Antique Plates. I'm waiting for the color of the plates to grow on me. The antique plates are only a one time fee of $55.00 plus a one time fee of $10 to get the personalized plates. There are some restrictions on having the plates, like not driving to work every day. But, I never have to pay the yearly plate fees again.

I also lost the space in OLE PONY to OLEPONY. The lady at the DMV said the antique plates only allow 7 charactors total, so no space.

What do you think about the new plate colors?

Nice, the best we can do in AZ is get out of emissions testing. Must have classic car insurance and drive less than 2K per year

Nice, the best we can do in AZ is get out of emissions testing. Must have classic car insurance and drive less than 2K per year
Oh yeah, I don't have to get the annual Virginia State Inspection anymore either. That saves another $16 a year.

Mike,

please let me be honest with you, without hurting your feelings.

I liked the plates you had before better. That is because in my opinion, the orange color isn't working as well as the black and white combo you had before. The orange clashes and competes with your white color scheme. I have not got a prob with OLEPONY now not being separated though.

Again, in my úmble opinion, i would seek out some nice quality chrome plated frames for the new plates. That would take some of the color harshness off them, and help to blend them with the whole car. Just my 2 cents worth i suppose.:) Enjoy your cost savings too.

Greg.:)

How about these plates...especially if you live in AZ.

5bpc8p.jpg

and you have a 73 Mach. Just checked Service Arizona and that plate is in use, not available

I've had my 73 vert registered as 'Historical' for well over a decade which allows me to use an original period license plate. However, NYS DMV being the money grubbing entity it is makes you renew the registration fee ($29) each year and get an annual inspection ($10). Restrictions about driving (not allowed for work) are also in effect, but if something (god forbid such as an accident) were to occur, an explanation (test drive, heading for service work) is usually sufficient.

I have heard about the one time fees, but that is something I never expect to see in NYS.

BTW: I'm okay with your new color (looks a lot like a vintage NYS plate from the 70's), but agree with Greg that a boarder frame (basic black) would give it a bit of seperation.

Mike the plates look good.

I have regular plates on my car, all we have to do is pass a safety inspection if the car if over 25 yrs old.

its about $80 every other year for the regular plate.

we do have antique plates, you get what ever number you get, no picking or choosing. and its $75 every other year, and you have driving restrictions (to and from shows on the weekend, no driving during the week unless to and from a show/cruise night or mechanic) and no inspection at all.

Mike, if the lack of the space bums you, I've seen guys add a dot or dash in the appropriate place to clarify the meaning. Also seen guys run the other plates without stickers, but I think that's risky.

C&CAUG 24 056.JPGI decided to get the original 1972 plates for the Mach1 and sprint versus the orange antique tags. Of course the downside is you can't get personalized tags with the Year of Manufacture plates and you have to buy a set which can easily be found on Ebay or the guy at the BK Cruise-in in Manassas. I have the orange tags still on the FF Cobra but only on the back. I never get pulled over even though in Virginia you are supposed to have a front tag. I used to drive the sprint everywhere with the Cherry Blossom plate on the front which was totally illegal and was pulled over for speeding and the cop never looked at the tag.

We bought a set of 1922 AZ plates that we run on our 22 Detroit. I wanted a set of 1914 AZ plates for our 14 Detroit. Turns out they are the holy grail on collector plates. Not just AZ but the US. Had a guy offer us a set for $6K. Steve passed on a set a few years ago on eBay for $1,500 thinking the guy was crazy

All is well until you have an incedent - then your insurance may use the fact that you were driving it "outside the rules" to not pay.

Minor dent no big deal but a major injury or death claim and they will look for every possible excuse to reduce what they have to pay you or others. The others will still get paid regardless even if it bankrupts you.

We simply get real plates with stated value / limited mileage insurance. 3000 miles per year with $25,000 is only 12 bucks per month. With 3 old cars that gives us 9000 miles of classic car driving.

This year we miled out the Torino with 2 month left. That was the first time that ever happened because my son decided to drive it to high school more than a few times a week.

We took the opportunity to refresh the suspension.

If it is your daily driver then it is your daily driver. We don't make the rules but we can sure get stomped if we go searching for loopholes.

- Paul of Mo

Last edited by a moderator:
In Wisconsin the first collector vehicle you register costs $200 which is a one time fee. Additional vehicles are $150 each. Our regular annual fee is $75/year. Our collectors plates are blue, so it should go with my 3k blue glow paint! I don't really pay that much attention to the plates when looking at classic cars since it is really out of the owners control.

Back