Glue in rear window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 restored in the original light pewter metallic with TMI interior and custom stereo from Pacific Car Audio
Just wondering with all the frustration getting the rear window trim on the fastback installed and with the re-pop so thin, has anyone ever looked into getting a glue in rear window done and get rid of the aluminum trim? I know that we could have done that with our 68 Chevelle but haven't seen anything for our 123's

It is impossible to get the trim on without damaging it. I glued the trim on and its been on for about 3 years now and is fine.

If we lived in a cooler climate that might be possible. The glue lasted about an hour in the AZ sun and then the corners popped back up. I mean getting rid of the trim and getting a window that fills the space and needs no trim. I guess I should have said flush mount. Here is a Camaro done with it

attachment.php

I've thought about this, too. The biggest problem is that I don't believe anybody makes a window that fills in the existing space. The extra space around the window would have to be filled in.

The other issue is in retaining the headliner without the weatherstripping.

If we lived in a cooler climate that might be possible. The glue lasted about an hour in the AZ sun and then the corners popped back up. I mean getting rid of the trim and getting a window that fills the space and needs no trim. I guess I should have said flush mount. Here is a Camaro done with it

attachment.php
To hold the trim down you could use

urethane window adhesive

silicone window sealant

They won't melt

Last edited by a moderator:
For the trim you could use

urethane window adhesive

silicone window sealant

They won't melt
That is what we used. It was just before the Good-Guys show so we only had about 12 hours for it to set

Just my opinion but, I can't imagine it looking good without the trim. Chuck
You're probably right, just trying to find away around the aluminum trim coming up. Maybe it is time to play with Photoshop and see what it could look like

Without the weatherstripping I believe the gap will be fairly wide, probably 3/8"+. With a dark tinted rear window it may look OK, though, filled with silicone or urethane.

They key would be getting a bigger window, that is what they are doing on the Camaros and Chevelles

To do it 100% requires fabricating the window channel to accept a new flush mount surround or trim molding..Just like the new cars

Not a big deal, just something that should be planned for in the body work stage. OR you could try what these guys did ...May work fine...

I think it would be cool to see done on one of our year models, but I would think the drip rails and windshield trim would need to go as well. Otherwise, it's just going to look like someone forgot to the install the window molding.

I also gotta wonder about the practicality of doing it: with the wind blowing in through the side windows at speed, would the risk of the rear window simply popping out go up drastically? Windshields are a different story, since the air is pushing on it from the outside at speed. But there's a big air pocket that builds up with the windows down, which is probably one reason for the gasket/installation process needed for the rear glass. I know in owner's manuals they say that for better aerodynamics at speed to close the windows - I can't help but wonder if the manufacturers didn't also do some testing to make sure the rear glass actually stays put during window-down driving conditions.

I also gotta wonder about the practicality of doing it: with the wind blowing in through the side windows at speed, would the risk of the rear window simply popping out go up drastically?
E..If done properly using the correct windshield adhesive & PRIMER the rear window isn't going to pop out AT SPEED unless it's MACH 1 ::tease::, trust me..You have to cut it out from the frame..

You could fill the space between the rear window and where the trim is mounted with some sheetmetal to get the rear window flush mounted, I've seen it done on a Pontiac GTO 1969 and it looks so cool.. I might go that way with mine :)

For the trim you could use

urethane window adhesive

silicone window sealant

They won't melt
That is what we used. It was just before the Good-Guys show so we only had about 12 hours for it to set
Are we talking about the window adhesive and window sealants sold at Home Depot or auto specific?

You could fill the space between the rear window and where the trim is mounted with some sheetmetal to get the rear window flush mounted, I've seen it done on a Pontiac GTO 1969 and it looks so cool.. I might go that way with mine :)
While the metalwork would be beyond my capabilities, this is the method I would choose if I were repainting my car and had the extra cash laying around.

I am just a little puzzled as to why you are having such problems with the trim? Did the trim just get preyed off and did not use the correct tool and bend it? Are the clips not any good or bent? The trim should install in seconds not hours or days.

My opinion of the no trim look is that someone just gave up and did not try.

To compare a mustang to a GM product is an insult. They have the worst fitting trim of about any car a tie with Chrysler.

Make sure the clips are good, new rubber, and no damage to the trim. Test fit the trim before you ever think about putting the window in and tweak it to fit while you can see what is up.

A friend of mine just had to redo a chevelle that someone put a new panel above the trunk where they rust out and did not put it in correct and the trim would not stay on. He replaced the body panel again got an even fit on the window before paint and when he put it back in it was tap it in place and no problem. Each component has to be right or it will not work.

The assembly line workers had a few seconds to apply their piece of trim and the line moves on. I have never had an issue with trim coming off and owned these since new.

I have seen people just pry the trim off and not release the clips and that really makes a mess and will never fit again.

If you are taking a window out just cut the rubber from the inside and take your time getting the clips loose and lifting the trim. You should not have any issue with putting it back on.

It looks half done without the trim. Old school I guess but time will tell.

David

Back