This is why Mechanic love to deal with some Women

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very funny. But, a scaled down version of that happens to men and women everyday around the world. The "chain stores" seem to be the worst offenders to me. I was looking at another of your older posts and it sounds like you need new muffler bearings. Suggest the stainless steel ones for longer life.:p Chuck

about 13 yrs ago, I had a 1976 Ford Elite that needed shocks, Sears had a special by 4 get free installation. I bought the shocks, they said I had to leave the car overnight because they were backed up, so I did, I received a call around 5PM the next day "your car is ready you can pick it up"

so my wife and I took a ride there to get the car, it was still in side, and they said "I can drive it right out of there", as soon as I hit the first bump exiting the garage, I didn't feel any difference, so I drove over to my wife's car, grabbed a flash light, and my thoughts were right, they never touched the shocks!!!!!

I ran in Pissed and asked to speak to a manager, I told him what I found, he insisted the shocks were replaced, and I was looking at something else, and its an old car with worn out suspension parts. now I'm heated, and I start to make a seen about it, he goes outside to prove me wrong, and as soon as he looks under that car, he apologizes as said "its 8:30PM leave the car and come back tomorrow, I will make sure its done", I said "no way!!! its going to get done now while I wait".

he had no mechanic that was willing to work late to replace them, so he did it him self, he finished around 10:00pm and he was pissed that I made him do it.

Now how many other people just drove off saying "wow this car need suspension work!!" I was one of the lucky ones.

BTW I never went back there again!!

I don't even know if I can believe this is real. It bothers me when people don't know anything about their cars. I mean, you drive the thing to work everyday don't you? The common sense of some people.. However, I was taught how to work on my car by my father, and I will teach my kids and so on. I try to teach my boyfriend but he just uses me to diagnose what is wrong with his car.. Seriously?

I don't even know if I can believe this is real. It bothers me when people don't know anything about their cars. I mean, you drive the thing to work everyday don't you? The common sense of some people.. However, I was taught how to work on my car by my father, and I will teach my kids and so on. I try to teach my boyfriend but he just uses me to diagnose what is wrong with his car.. Seriously?
David Hannum was right; "There's a sucker born every minute!"

This quote has been attributed to P.T. Barnum but can't be verified as such. :D

I have a friend that is a nurse practitioner. She has a Toyota 4 runner and her alternator went out and she asked me to take it to the Toyota dealer to have it fixed since it was difficult for her to get time off. I did not have anywhere to work on it and it was cold weather or I would have done it. She had made an appointment and I took it in and was sitting in waiting area watching discovery channel with lots of other people. Ok the shop manager comes it to one of the other people pulls them off to the side and I can barely hear the discussion. They tell him when they got his car in the shop they noticed that antifreeze was leaking from his water pump and it needed replacement so he said ok. That is not cheap on Toyotas. So in about 15 minutes here comes the same guy to me and pulls me off to the side and tells me the same thing. I tell him no way is it leaking it is parked on concrete and there are no signs of a leak and to just do the alternator. He tries to throw in the fear factory and say if it leaks and overheats it can cost thousands it should be replaced. I was getting pissed by now and told him to just get the car off the lift and I would go somewhere else and they finished the alternator. Wile I was waiting on that another guy came and told the same story to another person waiting and they said to do the work. That was over 3 years ago and still no leak in a water pump. I would love to get the local TV station to expose them but they advertise with them so they won't. No telling how many people they scare into doing the water pump and they probably never touch it. This is a Toyota dealer not a small shop. I did her brakes for hundreds less than their quoted price and turned all the rotors and repacked the wheel bearings. They said all rotors needed replacing, none were warped and had never been turned.

David

the Toyota dealer tried at the beginning to do that to my wife, and mother, he later found out he was wasting his time with them.

now its just the oil change and they leave.

I also think the hate it when they see my wife, she shows up with coupons fro every where, and ends up paying $15- $25 for a full synthetic oil change everytime.

The local tire & service stores (Goodyear, Firestone, General Tire, et al) and 'big box' shops (like Midas, specifically) are rip-off artists.

While I was working in the Auto Hobby Shop, we'd constantly (as in, every weekend) have people come in asking about their $800 brake job estimates, for cars needing a new set of pads and the rotors turned up front... sometimes, not even needing that much done for another couple thousand miles. Those places always wanted to:

• replace pads
  • replace rotors
  • replace/bleed brake fluid
  • replace wheel/axle bearings
  • remount & balance tires
  • realignment
  • replace shocks/struts

All of that to quell a little bit of a squeak, pulling slightly to one direction or another, and/or very slight pedal bounce to the tune of usually $400+ per axle.

Jiffy Lube, and places like that always want to change out ALL of your fluids, and it winds up becoming something like $200+... almost double that if you own a 4x4.

Those places suck.

We have a new Meineke, and I haven't heard anything bad about them (yet).

tha benz needed an alternator. I take it to "Dr. Larry" the coolest member he claimed at our hot rod club. Oh of course in 7 years I've NEVER seen Dr.Larry with a car at our club but who's counting. "oh your a member of Blast from the PAST? yep OH well cool dude bring her on in and I'll give you a deal. So he calls back gives me the professional explanation of everything and its only going to be 800 DOLLARS. I played dumb and said "well I'll have to wait till my next pay day and bring it back but that sounds like a really good deal"

I took her home, jumped in the truck bought a 135.00 alternator and had her up an running in 2 hours. 1 hour was to get the dang belt back on...LOL.:D

My daughter is off at college and she called two weeks ago and said that Merchants Tire said her 97 Accura CL needed a head gasket. She was bummed out and afraid to drive the car. Over the phone I told her how to check the dipstick and tell me if the oil looked milky; she said no. She said the coolant overflow tank was at the proper level. She also said the temp gauge was operating at the normal level. No steam or blue smoke out of the tail pipe either. I told her the car was safe to drive to a reputable local garage and have them double check it for her. As I suspected, the head gasket was fine. Next time I go to visit her at school I will be stopping in at Merchants for a visit.

This all sounds so familiar, fortunately most businesses are honest but there are some that "lure" people in for a convenient quick oil change and then make the real money talking people into changing their cabin filters, windshield wipers, air filters and of course the transmission appears over due for a fluid change then there's the question of when's the last time you flushed your system and changed your coolant? As long as the person sticks to the convenient quick oil change it's not a bad deal at all, but while waiting on my oil changes I've witnessed sooo many people fall for the "looks like you need this" sales commission routine.

My daughter is off at college and she called two weeks ago and said that Merchants Tire said her 97 Accura CL needed a head gasket. She was bummed out and afraid to drive the car. Over the phone I told her how to check the dipstick and tell me if the oil looked milky; she said no. She said the coolant overflow tank was at the proper level. She also said the temp gauge was operating at the normal level. No steam or blue smoke out of the tail pipe either. I told her the car was safe to drive to a reputable local garage and have them double check it for her. As I suspected, the head gasket was fine. Next time I go to visit her at school I will be stopping in at Merchants for a visit.

college town....daddy is away kids are stupid....CHARGE THEM! waiting till you make the visit...this will be fun!:D

Back