71 mach 1 351c 2v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 351 2v
I bought a 71 that hasnt been run in 14 years. The previous owner had finished everything except the motor. It does run as I had it running a few times already. My problem is that its running really rich and smoking blue ish smoke. Its the kind of rich where it bothers your eyes.

I had to rebuild the carb because it was really gross. I've talked to the pervious owner and he said it didnt smoke. I thinking I have something wrong on the carb. Anyone have any idea's?

Black smoke smelling like gas is "rich."

Blue-ish smoke is "oil."

What kind of fluids, magic elixirs, etc., did you use to get it running? You might be just stuck with it until those things burn off.

Also, if you haven't already, change out ALL of the fluids before bringing it back to life. Get any old and expired fluids out of the system might help also. While still flammable, sour gas will irritate your eyes as well.

"I'll bet it didn't smoke"... 14 years ago. ;) :D

I second Mr. 4x4 - change all fluids first.

What carb do you have? You might need to lean up the idle and / or metering rods / jets if it's running rich. You also may need to adjust the chock or chock pull-off on start up so that it's getting a proper amount of air.

KR

Back