Trim for a vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a set on EBay a few years ago, they were mint condition I paid almost $200

I still have my originals in a box, they are pitted but useable, are yours missing and broken? what condition are you looking for?

I just found a set on Ebay search "mustang convertible molding (1971,71,1972,72,1973,73)"

there is a set of badly pitted ones for $295 buy now!!! what is this guy thinking!!!

One thing about getting these re chromed. I think most all of the originals are pitted and will need to be ground down to remove. Since these are pot metal they are very difficult to re chrome. I took mine in to have done for $125 for the pair but after two attempts they gave me my money back. The still ended up with bubbles where the pits had been. Not sure if others have had better luck, but my guys could not get it done without bubbles. They sell brand new repro sets for about $295 at CJ's.

The corrosion is usually caused by the quench tank at the die cast machine when they were first made. You have to monitor the quench tank solution much like you do for a pool. You let the ph go out of spec and you will have under plating corrosion. I am sure you have seen NOS parts that don't look new that is the reason. A really good plating shop can grind out the bad material TIG in new zinc and grind them back down and plate but it for sure is not cheap. That is the reason you can buy a new bumper cheaper than re chrome, labor costs.

Someone with a laser scanner could reverse engineer them and make the from billet aluminum & plate them, not cheap either. The ones on my 73 California car that was always garaged are pitted also. There are probably some pretty good ones out there made when the tanks were fresh and correct mix.

I have one set that the owner put snaps in the hockey sticks and the back stainless piece also so you could snap the boot on. Like the old ones were. It is easier for sure.

David

Jeff and others, had mine rechromed, they came out perfect. They drill out all the corrosion and copper plate the pot metal, then they solder up the holes. All for about $100 each at royal silver Norfolk Virginia. Been on for three years still perfect.

Jeff and others, had mine rechromed, they came out perfect. They drill out all the corrosion and copper plate the pot metal, then they solder up the holes. All for about $100 each at royal silver Norfolk Virginia. Been on for three years still perfect.
Great lead! I'll put them on my to-do list.

That looks like the stainless piece that slips over the back of the seat divider to hold the front of the boot.

IMO, the repro hockey sticks are not a bad price since chrome work here in NY and NW Pa is very expensive. It would cost more to re-chrome than replace with the reproduction pieces. I'm curious as to the fit.

Back