wiring harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerhunter83

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
Hey guys I was wondering my 73 wiring harness is pretty beat up and since they don't make a new one for this year can you use a new 72 harness?

From what I learned is that the harness is not the same for 1972 and 1973. What harness are you looking for, under dash, engine compartment? I am sure the more experienced people here can point you in the right direction. There is a guy called Midlife who restores harnesses, he have his own section on this forum.

Hi there. Yes, there are substantial differences between the two year's harnesses, particularly in the turn signal and ignition switches. I can repair just about any underdash, headlight, and tail-light harness for these years to factory functional condition at reasonable prices.

My website is
harnesses

Hi there. Yes, there are substantial differences between the two year's harnesses, particularly in the turn signal and ignition switches. I can repair just about any underdash, headlight, and tail-light harness for these years to factory functional condition at reasonable prices.

My website is
harnesses
+1 He sure can!

What would it cost to do tail lights harness and headlight harness? When u repair them do u replace bad connectors?

The underdash harness runs $175; headlight harnesses run $100, and tail-lights $50. When repaired/refurbished, all connectors are replaced or refurbished to work as the factory would expect them to. I try to use OEM connectors if I have to replace them. If I can't (and that hasn't happened in the last 4-5 years), I will ask you for how best to proceed.

Oh my...I noticed that my website did not get entered correctly:

http://midlife66.com/harnesses

Last edited by a moderator:

My website is
harnesses
+1 He sure can!
Yessir, I second that. Send it to Randy. He took my 30 plus year sitting in the corn field harnesses and made them good to go. Jon

If I am planning to upgrade to EFI, all aftermarket gauges, and a complete stereo system would you recommend going with a modern aftermarket harness (such as Painless or American Autowire)?

If I am planning to upgrade to EFI, all aftermarket gauges, and a complete stereo system would you recommend going with a modern aftermarket harness (such as Painless or American Autowire)?
Yes. Once you go to that many modifications, it is best to start all of your wiring from scratch, as there's too much work and effort to modify the old harnesses to handle the higher loads.

And for the record, it is Painfull Wiring, not Painless. *G*

Lol.. Thanks..

You can also use a hybrid of the original harness and modern components & wiring, like I did.

I tapped a circuit breaker straight off the main positive and ran to a homemade auxiliary fuse panel with 2 6-circuit fuse blocks. One is always hot, and I sourced power for add-on things like stereo amp power, power locks, alarm power circuit, etc. The other fuse block gets its power through a relay wired to keyed power, meaning that block is only hot when the car is 'On.' That fuse block provides power to things that need it while the car is running, like the Duraspark ignition system, electric fuel pump, power windows, back-up camera, etc. I still have 2 fuse placeholders for when I install the Edelbrock fuel-injection later this year.

Painless makes similar fuse blocks, but they're mega-expensive. I've been told there are some similar products to my set-up in the form of marine fuse blocks, etc. I don't have any links, since I don't actually need any of them. ;)

Back