DIY top install..???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Anyone replace their own top? Do you need any special tools? Looking for opinions

Alex

Hey, yes, 1972 mustang convertible. Looking to replace the black top and rear window. Most likely going with vinyl top and plastic rear window

Alex

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. Bought the top on eBay and it came with a installation DVD. Good quality top and good instructions. You'll just need some basic hand tools and a power stapler. Your local hardware store sould have one you can rent.

If you,re a bit of a handy man you should be able to get it done but allow yourself a couple of days to do the job. The toughest part for me was getting the rear corners tight and wrinkle free. Takes a few test fits and re-adjustments.

When you take the old top off you may need to replace some items before the new one can go on so be prepared for that. There are a few videos on YouTube that are pretty helpful.

Good luck, take your time and be patient. You can save a lot of $$$ doing it yourself.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. Bought the top on eBay and it came with a installation DVD. Good quality top and good instructions. You'll just need some basic hand tools and a power stapler. Your local hardware store sould have one you can rent.

If you,re a bit of a handy man you should be able to get it done but allow yourself a couple of days to do the job. The toughest part for me was getting the rear corners tight and wrinkle free. Takes a few test fits and re-adjustments.

When you take the old top off you may need to replace some items before the new one can go on so be prepared for that. There are a few videos on YouTube that are pretty helpful.

Good luck, take your time and be patient. You can save a lot of $$$ doing it yourself.
if you dont mind, post e-bay auction . Also, did you go with plastic or glass for rear window? Did you replace the well as well?

ALex

Anyone replace there own top? Do you need any special tools? Looking for opinions

Alex
This is just my opinion, Some jobs you are better off leaving it to the "PROFESSIONAL" Do some research in your area, Look for somebody that has installed tops for years and check out his work. Go the cruise nite/car shows ,and talk to conv. owners. They will tell you if their happy or not with top. Most " PROFESSIONAL" shops will want you to buy the TOP from them because of GUARANTEE and they know what their getting. Most videos make every LOOK SO EASY. because they been doing it for years. Never use a VINYL/PLASTIC WINDOW the glass is a lot better.

I TALK TO A LOT OF PEOPLE BEFORE I HAD MY TOP INSTALLED (By a shop that been doing tops and interiors for over 40+ years) I very happy with their work and get a lot of positive commits about it. I think it was money well spent Pictures are on my profile LARRY

Anyone replace there own top? Do you need any special tools? Looking for opinions

Alex
This is just my opinion, Some jobs you are better off leaving it to the "PROFESSIONAL" Do some research in your area, Look for somebody that has installed tops for years and check out his work. Go the cruise nite/car shows ,and talk to conv. owners. They will tell you if their happy or not with top. Most " PROFESSIONAL" shops will want you to buy the TOP from them because of GUARANTEE and they know what their getting. Most videos make every LOOK SO EASY. because they been doing it for years. Never use a VINYL/PLASTIC WINDOW the glass is a lot better.

I TALK TO A LOT OF PEOPLE BEFORE I HAD MY TOP INSTALLED (By a shop that been doing tops and interiors for over 40+ years) I very happy with their work and get a lot of positive commits about it. I think it was money well spent Pictures are on my profile LARRY
Hi Larry, every time I see a convertible with the rear glass its always separated from the middle. Thats why I was going to plastic. The originals were the 1 piece and felt that was a better design

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex

I really struggle with this. I can't tell you how many times I have paid good money for an "expert" to do it only to find that it's not to my standard or that I was paying for their learning curve. I often find that you can do it twice by doing it yourself for the same cost as having someone else do it once. I'm going to have someone do mine only because I will be just back from paint and figure I don't want to take the chance. Do your research, watch the videos several times and I'm sure it will come out great.

Wow, that looks really good. Maybe our Cougar will be getting that new black top after all

My 73 vert came with lots of duct tape and also a new top in the box. I agree with some of the comments that a lot of the experts do not pay attention to details just make it look good. While you have everything off you can maybe do some touch up on the gutter system that the water runs through. There will probably be some rust and you can check all the pivot points and add a little lube here and there.

I did my own 65 mustang in the 70's I had to make two plywood gages to set the bows in the right position. If I remember correctly the Ford manual had an error in one of the dimensions was like an inch off. Figured it out and no problems. I wish someone made stainless staples. I actually used bronze tacks so they would not rust. I myself am going with a plastic window the glass looks great but seems to come loose early.

Keep us posted on how it goes I always like doing my own work I know what I pay for, lol.

I did take a course in upholstery at the local tech college and have my own upholstery sewing machine. Sewing kicks my ass for sure.

David

Ok I went and talked to the local trim shop here and he was doing a Mercedes and VW convertible right now. I was shocked when he told me $1,000.00 plus any parts I did not supply.

Since my car came with a top, the owner sent, I decided to put together a plan to try my hand at the 73. I had done the 65 back in the 70's I think. I took the top out and it was only the top and no rear window and there were no instructions. There was the warranty card and it turns out that it was made 100 miles from me in the U.S.A. in Charlotte. I sent them an email and they can provide the window I need and the new well, pads and they sent the instructions.

I also asked about stainless staples to prevent rust and they have them in 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" for Chrown Staplers the air operated. I picked one up at a pawn shop several years back for like $20.00.

This top was purchased from Mustangs Unlimited by the po but I can order the stuff I need direct for the manufacturer. This is their info for those interested. They started in business in 1964 and produce about any top you might need.

Kee Auto Top Manufacturing, Co.

1538 S. Tryon St.

Charlotte, N.C. 28203

1-800-438-5934

www.keeautotop.com

I have so much going now it will be a few weeks before I can even think about doing mine but when I do I will do some video and take lots of pictures.

David

back in the 80's/90's i used to pay $600 for a top installed. $1000 just labor to me is very high. Its a days work and I do understand business but I feel he is over priced. I will be waiting on all the info you will proved when you do your top

GOOD LUCK:udaman:

Back