Rear Glass Install Question...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asusnz

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 351C 2V FMX
Hi, I am about to get my rear glass panel installed back into my 71 Mach 1 and decided to get this particular job "professionally" done. I have read a few posts on this site and have noticed that foam should be installed before placing the glass onto the car. I mentioned this to the installer whilst booking the job on the phone and he reckoned forget that the modern sealers are superior basically the foam is not needed. I am not convinced however. Wondering if the foam is necessary or not?

I've seen the purists on the various sites install using the correct foam and sealants with no leaks.

I've seen a few articles over the years in Mustang Monthly (and the like) that say to use modern sealant and nothing else, with [supposedly] no leaks.

I've also seen them installed by professional glass installers (Safelite, in my case) with modern sealant and no leaks.

I would be inclined to say that your glass guy should know his stuff... especially, if he'll be offering a warranty against leaks.

Hope that helps!

the deal with the foam is that it adds more pressure to the rubber seal. the factory rubber seal sits very loose between the glass and window ledge.

if you fill that gap with sealant it will just ooze out , if you use the foam tape then it will fill the gap with a solid and seal much harder to the window ledge frame.

really if the installer guarantees no leaks then it is in his hands to make it right if there is a problem.

personally,,,, use the foam tape AND use the sealant together. that is what i did.

Back