Louvers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi Everyone,

I can't figure out why the louvers hit the trunk when I open the car. Is it not the right set. I have a book on options for the 72 and there isn't an option for louvers.

I noticed that on the 70 Stang there is a small piece of metal between the trunk lid and the back windshield where the brackets for the louvers attach. Can a 72 have louvers that allows the opening of the trunk w/o hitting the trunk lid or was it not designed that way?

I looked at a Mach 1 CJ rust bucket before buying the 72 Mach H car. The CJ Mach 1 had louvers and they did the same thing.

I think the louvers take the cave look away from the rear end a little. It's funny you can hardly see anything w/o vs not seeing anything with them on..LOL

To the best of my knowledge, the louvers were strictly an after market option on the 71 - 73 mustang. The original set I had on Fire (my '73 Mach I) was the "Interceptor" brand and I ordered it sometime around 1975.

I subsequently took it off and somehow damaged it so I ordered another set from a different company. I do not recall having any interference problems with the original set when opening the trunk. I have not installed the new set as I am giving the car a complete "re-do" (engine, transmission, rear-end, paint, etc).

It seems like I have seen a couple of other members on the board who have the louvers, perhaps one of them will chime in on this issue.

BT

To the best of my knowledge, the louvers were strictly an after market option on the 71 - 73 mustang. The original set I had on Fire (my '73 Mach I) was the "Interceptor" brand and I ordered it sometime around 1975.

I subsequently took it off and somehow damaged it so I ordered another set from a different company. I do not recall having any interference problems with the original set when opening the trunk. I have not installed the new set as I am giving the car a complete "re-do" (engine, transmission, rear-end, paint, etc).

It seems like I have seen a couple of other members on the board who have the louvers, perhaps one of them will chime in on this issue.

BT

Thanks for the input. Its good to hear I may be able to get one that fits. I think sometimes its hit or miss on the after market stuff. The louvers may be from another brand of car. Who knows. I'm finding a lot of weird things as I go through the car. I guess that happens due to the many sets of hands that's been working on the car since 72. I wish I knew how many owners there were.

My aftermarket louvers also interfere with the trunk. The bottom louver is on the same plane as the rest so when the trunk opens the rear edge of the trunk hits the louver. I have seen other louvers on 71-73 where the bottom louver follows the slope of the window allowing the trunk to open normally.

I'll look for pics of the two and post them when I can.

These louvers work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-351-C-I-V8-4-Speed-/320578066361?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

These louvers don't

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AST10556.htm#

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
My aftermarket louvers also interfere with the trunk. The bottom louver is on the same plane as the rest so when the trunk opens the rear edge of the trunk hits the louver. I have seen other louvers on 71-73 where the bottom louver follows the slope of the window allowing the trunk to open normally.

I'll look for pics of the two and post them when I can.

These louvers work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-351-C-I-V8-4-Speed-/320578066361?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

These louvers don't

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AST10556.htm#

Rick
Hey Thanks,

These kind of issues drive me nuts. I noticed if I counted right the one that was bad had six lovers and the one that was good had 5 louvers. I wonder what brand that was on the ebay site. It also had a flat section on the last area before the trunk. Don't they test these things before they sell them. Its ridiculous! Good job with the pics.

The ones I have do not hit, they were made by Hammond. I got them about four years ago when my last set was torn off in a hurricane. They did not hit, either, but I don't remember what brand they were. I bought that set sometime between 1988 and 1991 out of J.C. Whitney, of all places.

Back