NOS weatherstrip, Door Belt line

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

Just wanted to share with the forum members a rare NOS weather strip that is almost impossible or impossible to find these days. We found this outside, door, left hand weather strip at a Ford Dealer that was shutting down. As you can see, the weather strip is wider due to the early production of the 1971 mustangs. My 1971 Sports roof had these weather strips installed from the factory. I believe sometime late in the 1971 year of manufacturing, they went to the narrow type of weather strips. As you can see in the pictures, the two screw holes are already in place. I thought I had the Left and right hand sides, unfortunately, I only have the left hand.

I wish I could find the right side to use. The re pop stuff is really crap. This I mean by, it does not hold up very outside. I had installed on my 1973 Coupe, less than 5 years old, I had to replace due to cracks and broken rubber next to the window.

D1ZZ-6524153-A weather-strip, door, outside

5kmzir.jpg

245d98m.jpg

10n8j1h.jpg
6774zk.jpg

2wgxjyq.jpg

Another interesting find while looking into the Ford Master Parts Catalog, is this weather strip on the bottom of the Door. The part number is C9ZZ-6520272-A and requires 16 pan head screws No. 8 -15 x ¾ inch. This is probably another instance where Ford engineering has designed in before production and then determined it was not needed.

2dmcoz9.jpg

2vbwl1s.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Company, CR: May 1975

Thanks,

mustang7173 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Early 71 cars had the thin upper strip [ like the repro ]

They also had a lower supplemental strip [ no one buys anymore so the windows rattle

Mid 71 thru 73 had the wide strip

Hello Don,

Are the lower supplemental strips still available? Thank you for the update too!

mustang7173
I think so - I stopped stocking them as I sold two sets in 10 years.

No one wanted to spend the extra money

That's because we didn't know what they were. I took a chance and ordered a set. But, sadly the suppliers haven't done much to promote them. They will stop the glass from rattling when you shut the door. They are a little tough to secure but worth it.

That's because we didn't know what they were. I took a chance and ordered a set. But, sadly the suppliers haven't done much to promote them. They will stop the glass from rattling when you shut the door. They are a little tough to secure but worth it.
Judge,

Who sells them? Can you post something when you install them?

I hate that rattle thing. I thought it would be solved with new weather stripping.

-Jim

I don't think the rattle will stop they did it when brand new. I think I have the strips NOS Ford in my parts hoard also the quarter window rubbers. I don't think it is really a rattle just the glass moving around. Never bothered me but everyone has his own needs.

David
oh ok. When I hear rattles I think something is wrong. Guess I'm just spoiled with the new car quality. Better I get a really load stereo :)

" That's because we didn't know what they were "

That is because you go to the wrong parts house :p:p:p

Back