Help with hidden vin

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfdsteve

Reaction score
My Car
71 Grande Bar find
Found a sports roof shell at the local yard. No dash. Partial hidden vin on both shock towers reads. 2f109914

It looks like 2(72) f(Dearborn) Is the 09914 the production number?Shouldn't it be either 02 sports roof or 05 mach1?

How do you find out correct model and engine with this data?

Thanks

The 109914 is the production number. Only thing you can tell from this number under the fenders is year and factory which you already know. Is the VIN tag also missing on the drivers door?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 109914 is the production number. Only thing you can tell from this number under the fenders is year and factory which you already know. Is the VIN tag also missing on the drivers door?
I'm assuming that would be on a sticker and there are none so no, there is no vin on the door that I can find. Can i get the rest of the details on this car from Marti with just the partial vin?

I'm thinking they did that when they bucked the car, not knowing if the next 'fastback' was going to be a sportsroof, Boss 351, or Mach 1... or what engine was going in.

That's where the dash placard and door sticker come into play - they would know by the stack of orders if when a 'fastback' came through the line, whether it would be a sportsroof, Boss 351, or Mach 1. That's why the VINs don't match between the shock towers and dash & door: there were no sportsroofs, Boss 351s or Mach 1s in the beginning... they ALL started out as fastbacks.

The whole '05' Mach 1 designation really screwed up the whole process... but at least it makes life more interesting if you actually wonder if that fastback you see on the street is a 'real' Mach 1 or not (instead of just assuming that it is a Mach 1 by virtue of being a '71-'73). :shrug2:

you could sneek a look under the rear, see if the chassis has a staggered rear shock setup and or a factory rear sway....

also a ford 9" verse a 8" 3rd member. is the trans still in the car? FMX wouldn't tell you much, a C4 or C6 might and what trim the engine is in.

if its a closed chamber 4V,, obviously things can be bolted on but could give more evidence.

if there is trim on the car mach 1 grill and rear taillight panel verse the sportroof standard grill and no evidence of factory holes for a rear honeycomb panel.

rubber front bumper verse chrome, and if the fenders have the factory rubber extensions on the front, not sure how parted out the car is.

check for a front sway bar.... i'm trying to remember if a factory front sway was standard on mach 1 trim.

thinking out loud if you find factory sways and a factory staggered rear then it would give more possibility to a mach 1 verse a sportroof.

i think even with the sequence number you can get more marti works information

H-codes didn't come with staggered shocks (as a rule, and so I've been told) or dual-exhaust - I don't believe 302s did either.

Also look for a clock in the instrument cluster. Mach 1s were supposed to have a clock 'somewhere' inside. Since there weren't any Grande Sportroofs, if there's a clock, there's a good chance it's a Mach 1.

Yeah, my Marti report also said mine came with a console. Anybody see a console anywhere? ;) :D

Interior_starting_point1.JPG

I will admit that I think I might've just noticed what I believe could be a fade mark in the transmission hump carpet in the shape of the full console... but I can't say for sure since there wasn't one in there when I first got it. :p

Mister 4x4...wouldn't there be screw holes drilled into the transmission hump if car came originally with console?

Lfdsteve...Check and see if the buck tag is still on the radiator support as it has the full VIN. Here is a pic of it and is usually located on driver side. If not there, then I would call Marti and give them your partial VIN and see if they can do a search.

fy1fdj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a Marti with the partial vin and was surprised to find out it's an 05 Mach 1. Pretty exciting I guess. Nothing else real exotic that I can tell but at least I don't have to make a clone:)

Tnx for the help so far.

Did a Marti with the partial vin and was surprised to find out it's an 05 Mach 1. Pretty exciting I guess. Nothing else real exotic that I can tell but at least I don't have to make a clone:)

Tnx for the help so far.
Post a pic of the Marti as we would all be curious to see what you got.

Mister 4x4...wouldn't there be screw holes drilled into the transmission hump if car came originally with console?
Yes, of course. But I'm thinking they would've been 'pre-punched' into the sheet metal (or not) anticipating a console installation depending on the order sheet as they came down the line. There are a lot of fastener locations, holes, and whatnot all over the car for things that some cars came with and others did not. Rear Sway Bar mounting holes in the rear frame rails, for instance - mine had those also... but no rear sway bar from the factory (they sure came in handy when I mounted up my aftermarket sway bar, though :cool: )

I did, however, find those holes in my transmission tunnel (and preserved them, of course). ;) :D

Back