Biggest Car Pet Peeves

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I think the only issue I would have driving mine as a daily driver is after all that time, effort, money, blood, sweat, and tears (nope... actually, no tears) invested, I'd probably come unglued after the first door ding or first passenger that damages something because we all know that nobody besides us really has any kind of deep-seated 'care' for our cars... at least not to the level we do, anyway.

It's not "just a car," folks - even my lowly Honda Civic hatchback was "my baby" while I had it. I love cars, and especially after I bring one back from the dead, I get great enjoyment driving and caring for them... as well as great pleasure in having a cool car that other people seem to envy even just a little bit.

I know it drives me nuts when my boss (who is now basically blind and depends on me for rides to lunch and errands pretty much everyday) slams the door in my truck, pulls the seat belt absolutely ALL the way out and/or closes it in the door, tosses his cane into the truck, can't seem to remember how to cover his face when he sneezes, etc. It also drives me nuts when someone else hops out and just tosses the seat belt aside, expecting the retractor to suck it up, but usually not before it clanks on the window and takes a chunk out of the window tint.

I've already told him the first snot-rocket I find anywhere in the car will be his last ride in the Mustang. I thinks he thinks I'm kidding... No Sir - not kidding. Not by a long shot.

So what are some of the things that bother you most about having your cool car (no matter what kind of a car it is)?

In one of the 71-73s, the 3 part seatbelts - in getting them on,in getting them stowed, and in them not letting me reach the radio column while hooked up. I swear one of these days I'm going to swap them for modern retractable belts.

I'm fairly new to all this and two things thus far....

1. I don't always have time to give a twenty minute tour of the car. I love talking about her, and 9 times out of 10, I'll talk your ear off, but if I say I'm kind of in a hurry, just say nice car and let me go.

2. Every kid I see at a red light wants me to race them. It's cool that your daddy bought you a new Mustang, but this one is heavy and old and a little lazy. Just like me.

In one of the 71-73s, the 3 part seatbelts - in getting them on,in getting them stowed, and in them not letting me reach the radio column while hooked up. I swear one of these days I'm going to swap them for modern retractable belts.
You can have these in - using factory holes and hardware in less than a half hour

Item #MS368731000CB-131

SEAT BELTS 3-POINT RETRACTABLE KIT FOR FRONT SEATS

***SPECIAL FREE SHIPPING ON THIS ITEM***

68-73 Coupe and Fastback.

Black 3-Point chrome starburst push button retractable seat belt kit for front seats. Hardware included.

The 3 point retractables from OMS work great and are well worth the money. We have them in our car and really like them for ease of use, functionality and looks. My biggest pet peeve are the folks that feel they need to slam the doors shut so hard it is a miracle the glass doesn't break.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Every kid I see at a red light wants me to race them. It's cool that your daddy bought you a new Mustang, but this one is heavy and old and a little lazy. Just like me.
I agree with this. For some reason I am always the one at the front during a red light, the person on the side of me will rev their engine and take off when the light goes green. I think they get angry when they see I wasn't interested and don't race them.

One pet peeve that really bothers me is when the older guys look at me and ask if the car is my dads. When I say no, they ask "well, is it your boyfriends?" WRONG AGAIN! YES, a young girl can have her own antique car and know a thing or two MORE than you about them! lol

Good for you Elizabeth! More women with Mustangs!

Well, this isn't exactly a "pet peave", but this happens more than it should......when I park in a parking lot, and another car parks right up next to me. The doors on my Mach are long, and people just don't consider that I need room to open the door and get in or out. I've had to do the "Limbo" many times trying to get in to my car with out my door touching another car. Good thing I'm not a fat guy or it would sometimes be impossible. Then again, what do I expect? Courtesy is not something the influx of drivers here in California are getting to be known for!

Years ago my pride and joy (daily driver) was a 71 hg monaro.

Mates would jump in and when we're getting out, they would open the door wide open and my teeth would grind every time the bottom on the door edge would scrape on the sidewalk!

Unless you have a 2 door with huge doors, you probably aren't aware of this.

My Mrs is fully trained up in this respect! She even knows not to close the door with the window wound up all the way!

Yes, just another of the quirks of a 44 yo 71 mustang .

I agree with this. For some reason I am always the one at the front during a red light, the person on the side of me will rev their engine and take off when the light goes green. I think they get angry when they see I wasn't interested and don't race them.

One pet peeve that really bothers me is when the older guys look at me and ask if the car is my dads. When I say no, they ask "well, is it your boyfriends?" WRONG AGAIN! YES, a young girl can have her own antique car and know a thing or two MORE than you about them! lol
http://s163.photobucket.com/user/rpmcarter/media/Morefunnnn018.mp4.html?o=35

usually when "I" pull up.... 99% look STTRAIGHT ahead as if I'm NOT even there. If my neighbors can hear it 5 houses down...I damn well know YOU can hear it in your NEW Mustang. Yes that is MY pet peeve...call yourself a Mustang or even a classic car person and you cant show respect for this puppy ....you're a POSER!

I married into a family of chronic mishandlers of turn-signal levers. Every time they use it, they use the maximum force available. I'm really surprised the levers don't fall off or break every time they signal.

ha... Midlife. I was visiting family we are riding along... I turn on the signal for left right whatever. My brother says "damn boy you gonna wear that thing out ...you signal for everything" LOL he may not be a signal lever abuser!! :D

So for another .... I've been to many car shows...maybe 100 or so. I cant stand it! you see a cool car and try to be polite and communicate with the owner. They are less than interested in talking to you. If they answer at ALL it is a few quipps and they turn their head or leave while you're talking to let you know they have NO INTEREST in talking to you.

EXCUSE ME eff'er if you dont like me admiring your car and asking a few questions.....DONT BRING YOUR UPPITY AZZ to the car show!!! is kinda my take on that.:D I talk to anybody and the poor rascal that will never be able to afford a classic is my favorite ...all he wants is a little of our time.... and for a moment in time think that he is talking to a guy that respects him and his opinion right or wrong.

What else ya gonna do? sit your smug azz out in the sun and try to be better than thou? it brings disgrace to our hobby. If you dont like talking to people .....STAY HOME!

We are not better than anybody no matter what amount of money we have in our cars!

Good for you Elizabeth! More women with Mustangs!

Well, this isn't exactly a "pet peave", but this happens more than it should......when I park in a parking lot, and another car parks right up next to me. The doors on my Mach are long, and people just don't consider that I need room to open the door and get in or out. I've had to do the "Limbo" many times trying to get in to my car with out my door touching another car. Good thing I'm not a fat guy or it would sometimes be impossible. Then again, what do I expect? Courtesy is not something the influx of drivers here in California are getting to be known for!
+1 on this one. I park way out in the parking lot away from all other cars and try to avoid the path of any runaway shopping carts. But every once in a while someone has parked next to me. I guess they want to get a closer look when they get out of their car. I like to park way out too so that when I'm walking back to the car I get to enjoy the view of my car sitting there.

I took the 72 out to a show Saturday. Lots of positive comments. Some clown says to me, yeah it would be real cool if it was a 67 fastback. And I told him he sounds like that was the only Mustang ever made. Heck it's easy to do something that you've seen done before. That kinda got under my skin. But I got my trophy (Best Paint) and rolled home with a smile on my face.

I married into a family of chronic mishandlers of turn-signal levers. Every time they use it, they use the maximum force available. I'm really surprised the levers don't fall off or break every time they signal.
Why I don't let anyone drive my car. My dad has driven it twice, but I can see him being a bit aggressive with it, so thats no more (plus you can't let purist chevy guys drive a ford lol).

I hate it when I go to open my hood & people try to help by pushing up on one side. Leave it alone! I can open the damn thing myself. These hoods are so long that they need to be opened from the center, as I'm sure you all know.

Another one is when you get people who think they know all about your car cause they worked at a shop before. Some guy yesterday wanted to know why my car didn't have a Dana rear end. Told him it wasn't available on mine, but oh no I was wrong, cause a buddy of his had one. I just let it go, because of course, this guy was an expert!

I guess the slamming the door and how they get in and out of the car also bugs me. For the longest time people would stop at the house and want to buy one of the cars. Planted bushes and let them get 10 feet tall so they cannot see them but they still show up from time to time. Had one guy come in with an F-350 diesel with a trailer and he was going to buy the Mach 1. I kept telling him it was not for sale to just leave. He kept insisting that everything has a price and I told him that this car did not he muttered curse words got in and left had a Michigan tag. I think he saw the car in the only MCA show it was in and got my address.

David

Well...A lot of peeves you have to get over owning a classic " specially our years" From people acting like they know all about it, too being swarmed at the gas pumps by the same people.. Some out of jelously have to walk up and say some smart arse remark, or say some year was better.

But i have to say the most trouble sum for me.. Is when i take the cover off my stang or pull it out, right now it is under a cover next to my house" it attracks people like bee's too honey..I cannot even get going with out some one driving down my street super slow scope'ing out my house and everything else " just cause i own a old classic car" Then the knocks come, and i get the people who say, i seen this car here for a long time, wanna get rid of it? I'm mostly nice and say, yes i'm sure you seen this car sitting here for a long time, i have owned it since i was out of high school, and nope it is not for sale..A few times i will get a person who walks up and acts like i'm destroying a classic, just cause i own it and they don't.. Had one guy years ago pull up with a neck brace on i will never forget.. I was busy and i heard a knock on my door, and this guy is standing with a neck brace on.. He says in a fast weird way. Mustang for sale? I said my usual nope, owned it since highschool. guy has the nerve to say, well it just going to rott...I said it will rott too the ground before you ever touch it. He tries to recover knowing he just pushed my button and ask " what motor does it got? I said it don't matter what motor it has , get the f$ck out of here!! he takes off " best part!!" About a week later i drag my car up too my dads garage, i was cleaning my house and i seen that guys truck pull up, and him looking all over my property for my car!! I'm just laughing my ass off.. He pulls off halling ass all pissed thinking i sold it...Bahahahahhaha

But even under a car cover and hidden next to my house, i still get strangers pulling up asking about it..Is that a Mach 1 under the cover? i almost have to bury it some days...I had a guy show up just 2 days ago, asking about it.." atleast he was nice about it".. Had my cousin who was visiting seattle!! in a big biker rally, a guy asked him where he was from.. and he said Benton city, Guy says oohhh you ever see that red mach 1 as you drive into that small town? I always wanted to ask if he wanted to sell it..And he laughs and says..That is my cousins car, and nope he will not sell it..lol That blew me away, i guess there is not much to look at in my town besides my car..lol " jk"

I don't mind talking about my car, but if people going to be a ass and think they will bully me into selling my car, or school me with their vast amount of information about my car, well they got another thing coming!!! lol ;)

Yes and that makes you my kinda girl

I hate it when I go to open my hood & people try to help by pushing up on one side. Leave it alone! I can open the damn thing myself. These hoods are so long that they need to be opened from the center, as I'm sure you all know.

Another one is when you get people who think they know all about your car cause they worked at a shop before. Some guy yesterday wanted to know why my car didn't have a Dana rear end. Told him it wasn't available on mine, but oh no I was wrong, cause a buddy of his had one. I just let it go, because of course, this guy was an expert!
Yes there's a lot of experts out there. Like the guy who told me he had a car just like mine except it was a Mach2 and of course it was a big block.

Back