Updates, scary updates...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
So I have started busting the body down to bare metal to spray epoxy primer on the car. Back in high school there was a huge hole in the passenger quarter panel. It was reskinned, but they did a terrible job and I haven't known until just now, there was a terrible amount of bondo covering it. Now I just can't decide if I should repatch it up and move on, or just replace it now (which I have no time or money to do).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK, that's not good, but it's not the end of the world. Depending on funds available, and the skill of your body man, you might be able to work with what you have. Nobody wants thick bondo, but that panel looks solid, rust free (coat it again soon to avoid rusting now that you have paint off!), and it seems you could work with it if you had to. i think I'm gonna be in the minority on this, but look at it this way... when you went to strip it down - you were unaware of its condition. It would seem to me that you can make it that way again.

IDK, that's not good, but it's not the end of the world. Depending on funds available, and the skill of your body man, you might be able to work with what you have. Nobody wants thick bondo, but that panel looks solid, rust free (coat it again soon to avoid rusting now that you have paint off!), and it seems you could work with it if you had to. i think I'm gonna be in the minority on this, but look at it this way... when you went to strip it down - you were unaware of its condition. It would seem to me that you can make it that way again.
I agree. From the looks of it they used every bit of the replacement panel instead of trimming down to what they needed. This means you will probably get into original material in order to clean up the replacement welds, likely leaving many gaps when trying to install another replacement panel. Next thing you know you will be searching for a full quarter panel. I've seen some fine threads on this site showing how to work the metal to get it where it should be. Worth a try before cutting into it.

Nik,

One thing to consider is look how long it's lasted without issue. In another 20 years when you paint it again you can address it then. I've been told quarter are hard to get right.

Jim

I agree with both options. If you have the funds then fix it right. If not then work with what you already have and fix it next time.

thanks guys! i knew the panel was replaced because there used to be a huge hole where it is. great points, all of them. i think i am gonna work with what i have and just try to make it look as good as it did before removing the bondo. the reason i removed it all was because there was some minor cracking and i knew before long it would be a huge mess and didn't want to paint it knowing that. i only have a small portion left to sand and the car will be sprayed in epoxy primer for the long haul of body work that needs to be done. yesterday i dug into my passenger side fender and the bondo is thick there as well and has several rust spots on the top. funny thing is that i remember that panel being solid 12 years ago when i gave it to the body guy to paint. oh well i guess, probably be looking for a new fender soon.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they overlap the material or butt it. If they overlapped it that is really bad seams like that will show up over time as the car heats and cools it will make the area of the overlap show through the paint. A good body man can take a zip wheel or even a saw and cut a line to remover the overlap and weld up the butt weld. You do it in sections not all at once and then hammer the weld as you go and grind it down. There will still be some bondo but lap joint will be gone.

I totally understand your budget and that will determine you final solution.

Good luck and keep us posted.

David

I didn't strip mine down to the bare metal before having it repainted, I had already put more money in it than I can get out if it, it's pretty straight and I don't think I have any bondo issues but ignorance is bliss.

If you don't have the money to put on new metal, I think you answered your own question; you won't have the bliss part, but most would never know the bondo was there if done right.

Back