Nose Job

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase.Heuer

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 2004 daily driver v6 and am now the proud owner of a 1973 coupe
would it be imposible to use 71/72 fenders and chrome bumper on a 73?

Another option might be have the 73 bumper and fender extensions and hood trim chrome dipped... Any thoughts

Another option might be have the 73 bumper and fender extensions and hood trim chrome dipped... Any thoughts
Don't think you could chrome a rubber bumper,,,,,,,, Im gonna do the same conversion that Claus did when I get brave enough to tackle it

That thing will crack - see the further description on that site:

[...]For a part to work properly for plastic chrome plating it must be rigid. Soft, flexible, or rubbery plastic can be chrome plated, but the coating will stress crack because we are building up copper, nickel, and chrome onto the surface of your part. Copper is a soft, ductile, malleable metal, but it is still far more rigid than plastic. Nickel is an extremely brittle and rigid metal. Therefore, plastic chrome plated parts will not be particularly flexible when completed.[...]

I will restore mine - it is a part of the Mach 1 of 1973! I will use some kind of two-component adhesive for the cracks in the rubber and laquers with more softener. I think the hardest part on it will be the sanding... ;)

Tim

I will restore mine - it is a part of the Mach 1 of 1973! I will use some kind of two-component adhesive for the cracks in the rubber and laquers with more softener. I think the hardest part on it will be the sanding... ;)

Tim
Good to see someone keeping these big old bumpers.

When my car was in the shop they called me over, saying that I should ditch the front bumper on my 73' and get a chrome one because the paint may crack over time if they repainted it.

I said "NO WAY BUDDY." you are painting it and putting it back on the car. These bumpers aren't that easy to come by, and although many like the chrome, I don't.

I told him to buy a new mixture that had just become available to help the paint bend more. So far, no cracks anywhere. I am always careful near it though just to be sure (don't remember what the product is called. It was pretty pricey though, they almost didn't listen to me)

i like the big bumper, i like how it looks coming out in front but i have always liked the look of a chrome bumper. i wish there was a way to get the chrome bumper to sit like the plastic ones.

Back