73 convertible top Hydraulic lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Need a consensus from everyone ... replaced my cylinders/hoses yesterday. As far as I know the ones i replaced were the OEM ones from 73. The OEM lines ran from the pump, behind the metal trunk divider ... thru clamps on the back side and then to the cylinders. I saw a video of a 71 and those lines ran on the front of the trunk divider. What is the correct location ? The hoses I bought seem to be a little too long and don't route easily. I am afraid they are going to bind or get in the way of the top frame when it comes down. I routed just as the originals, they just don't seem to fit as well. Thanks

In my 73 they ran behind the metal divider just like Ole Pony's. Yes, the new lines are longer (better than too short) but you can loop them at the divider using nylon ties to hold them in place. As you bleed out the air, you will see everything in operation and locate them clear of everything that moves.

Also, while you have everything cleared out of the way, this is a good time to replace your rear shocks if they need replacing since the top mounting access is right there.

In my 73 they ran behind the metal divider just like Ole Pony's. Yes, the new lines are longer (better than too short) but you can loop them at the divider using nylon ties to hold them in place. As you bleed out the air, you will see everything in operation and locate them clear of everything that moves.

Also, while you have everything cleared out of the way, this is a good time to replace your rear shocks if they need replacing since the top mounting access is right there.
Thanks all for the info. Already did the shocks, good advice.

Thanks all for the info. Already did the shocks, good advice.
May have to bleed the system/undue hoses ... loop and reroute. Hope not !

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the original lines from my 73 convertible. I can make no guarantees but I believe they are still good with no leaks. I replaced both cylinders which I think were leaking. If you are interested in them PM me and we can figure something out. Thanks

Back