front suspension rebuild photos

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AWESOME!! Nice pics - they look great!

So, the sheet metal and subframe look pristine - did you replace everything, or were you lucky enough to be able to clean it up and re-use it?

I'm probably going to use these as reference pictures, since mine is missing things like pretty much everything hanging on the fenders... except what's left of the battery tray.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting the link to the pics! The leaf springs have arrived for the rear suspension when I get there, but all I have for the front is the shocks. As soon as a few more parts arrive, I'll be dropping the front susupension, referring to your tutorial in another thread, and using these pics to help when I get stuck. I'll let you know when I actually get something done. :)

Thanks again!

Doc

i have photos from my rear suspension rebuild also, i'll see about posting them.

"So, the sheet metal and subframe look pristine - did you replace everything, or were you lucky enough to be able to clean it up and re-use it?"

basically all the aprons and the radiator support were replaced, taking the front end down to the rails and the strut rod cross member.

the rails were patched on both sides the strut rod cross member was actually found to have been replaced before so it was in good shape, at some point in the past we think the car either took a decent front end hit or bottomed out on a curb.

once the rails were solid the new aprons installed to the cowl, the cowl was then worked on, and work ended because to continue would of turned into another year of work.

When the car was returned to me i striped the firewall completely then took the cowl and firewall down to bare metal all the way to the transmission cross member, i didn't go further since the floors need to be replaced. the metal in those areas was in good shape, though the front torque boxes and rockers will need work in the future.

"What paint did you use for the engine bay and the steering/caliper components? "

SEM self Etching primer and SEM Trim Black #39143 was used for the engine back

the steering and caliper paint is eastwood high temp gray bare metal, if i had to do it again i would of used a rust encapsulation primer before using the gray bare metal top coat. however its held up decently the last 2.5 years, with minor touch ups.

Back