"BELTS" light bezel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike Morelli

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 ram air 351c H-code, fmx, ps,pb, medium yellow-gold, hubcaps and beauty rings.
On my '71, there is a small, round, light that comes on when you start the car, only momentarily then the light goes out, that says "BELTS". This seat belt reminder light is on the lower left side of my instrument panel..............or should I say, It was.

I recently noticed the red lens with the lettering, along with the silver plastic bezel, is gone. I looked all around. I don't know what happened to it, but it's gone.

My stupid question is, does anyone reproduce the lens and bezel? Does anyone out there reading this have said part(s), and wants to sell one to me? I don't see the part anywhere in any of my Mustang parts catalogs. I may have to rob one from a parts car huh?

As far as I know 71's didn't have the rectangle seatbelt warning on the passengers side.

I wonder if it was added by a previous owner.
It's not over the glove box on the right hand side like a '73, it's low and to the left of the steering column, about 2 to 3 inches to the left of the headlight switch, round, roughly the diameter of a Nickel, red lens with the word "Belts" embossed, and an Argent bezel around it.

The socket is still there, light comes on momentarily, I just can't figure out what happened to the outer piece. I'll look in my shop manuals today, should the books show a photo I'll post it.

71 had a optional seat belt reminder system

Round BELTS light on LH side of the dash

Worked like Spike stated, comes on when car is started and has

a timer to stop it.

Hard to find part and not being made

I have a complete system, I'll check for a

extra lens / housing

yup was optional for 71 and early 72 and in mid 72 government regulations kicked in and you got the light on the passenger side and the timer and sensor as standard equipment as well.

yup was optional for 71 and early 72 and in mid 72 government regulations kicked in and you got the light on the passenger side and the timer and sensor as standard equipment as well.
the Late 72 and all 73 had a sensor in the seat bottom that would LIGHT that light and make the KEY BUZZER buzz,until you and your passenger BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT. So back in those days when the cars where new, Most owners UNPLUGED the sensor under the front seats. Because a lot of people in the 60s and 70s never would use their seat belts. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I BOUGHT A NEW 72 MUSTANG CONV. AND I MY ORDERED MY 73 CONV. NEW. My dash light and buzzer still work. I hope this post helps. LARRY

worst case, you could always find a belts bezel from another car car and stick it in...

check out cougars to open your options, and other ford cars used similar bezels.

i modified a couple of dash parts from a cougar to work on my mustang, parts were not as available years ago as they are today.

you might find something close from another car or manufacturer and just roll with it until the correct part shows up.

also if you think the belts light fell off in the car try looking under the carpets. you cannot believe what you find under it sometimes.

I am looking for the similar bezel and lens that says "PARK", for a 1972. I have a post under "want to buy" on classifieds. Ohio Mustang kinda responded to me also, but he never responded back whether he has this part or not. I'll have to call him.

As far as I can tell, these lenses and bezels, weather "BELTS" or "PARK", don't seem to be available from the aftermarket.

Back