Mach 1 looker-atter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umbra

Reaction score
My Car
NA....Yet
Greetings Big Body Gurus!

When I was a kid in the early/mid 80s, my friends and I frequented a local schoolyard basketball court. The route to the schoolyard passed the home of a guy who was letting a dark green Mach 1 rot in his backyard. The last time I saw it (20 odd years ago), what was left of it was still sitting in the same spot.

I loved that car and hated that guy. I've lusted after Mach 1s since.

I've lurked a bit here for years, but never posted because I don't have a 71-73. I've learned some cool stuff. Not enough though.

Problem? I may have found the unicorn. It's a yellow 73 Mach 1, 351C auto. I don't need it, I don't really have the space for it. But I WANT it. It's been on CL for a long while for cheap. Pics look good, but they are just pics. I assume it has problems, or it would've been long gone.

So if I can't calm myself and talk me out of going to look, what should I run away from other than rusty frame rails etc? I've had a 65 coupe and a 68 coupe, both with toploaders so I'm familiar with Ford engines and manual transmissions etc. I'm OK there. It's the possible common problems with 71-73s I'm not familiar with.

Any help appreciated and apologies if I'm beating a dead horse (no pun intended) with the questions. Nervous.

BTW, glad to finally have an excuse to post :)

Welcome from West Texas!

Basically, if the car looks anything like mine did - don't buy it. rofl

But yeah - post up some pics and we'll see what we can see. ::thumb::

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe. Please remember to post a pin on the member map under "fun stuff" at the top right of the page.

Others will be more knowledgeable and chime in on the pics.

Glad you finally found an excuse to sign in. :)

Yes, Nashville indeed. A little south of me.

I've texted the guy (per his instructions)...no reply.

Ya never know about CL. I have a love/hate thing for CL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy from Phoenix!

Hard to tell but looks okay. It has either been repainted or the front bumper had to have some work done. The bumper is missing the black part in front of the grill.

Sounds like you are looking for one to 'own' and not fix up and sell. Are you shooting for 'original' or 'make it your own with some upgrades' or ???

You will want to confirm if it is a Mach 1 or not. No big deal overall if it isn't but you can knock the price down some if it isn't a Mach 1 body code.

After that it depends on the condition and what you can do yourself. I can wrench so a bad motor/transmission or something like that wouldn't bother me. But I suck at body work and since I live in AZ I don't have to put up with any rust buckets.

Expect to spend money. But it will be worth it.

My first car was a 73 Mach 1. Fold down rear seat. Green. Black/white interior. Taken out by a drunk. I still miss it.

Looks to be in decent condition, but always check for hidden rust such as quarter panels, floor pans, cowl, etc.

As will e said, the front bumper was repainted without the proper blacked out area next to the grill. Wrong headlight doors, should be black; so look for front end damage that may not have been repaired properly.

Right stripes for the 73 Mach 1. I like the color.

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies.

I am looking for a driver that needs some work. I'm looking for one to own and drive, not to flip. For me, working on them is as much fun as driving them. I am somewhat limited by space and tools, but most mechanical stuff is within my reach. I've already located a couple of decent transmissions to swap in if necessary.

I have a friend that can handle body and paint. Thank goodness. I can do it as long as he is looking over my shoulder.

Not sure what I'll do with it yet. With the older cars (65-68) I've upgraded wheels, brakes, steering etc because they usually have non-power drums and manual steering. I like to modernize while mostly keeping the factory look. Many of the 71-73 cars already have disc braked power steering etc. so most of the things I'd do would be cosmetic and small power adders. I'm a cruiser, not a racer.

So, it sounds as if the trouble spots for rust are about the same as the 65-70s. I'll make sure to check the usual spots. How about the back window? It looks like a rust prone area.

Would the Mach numbers be on the door tag or are they part of the VIN? Are 73 VIN numbers on the dash as well drivers fenders?

Still no reply to text message...:(

I think it looks solid enough. But I would definitely crawl under and all over that car before agreeing to the price. If the trunk surround has that much indication of paint loss and potential rust, I'd be leery of the cowl and floor pans.

Being a Mach 1, it should've come with power disc brakes up front (at least, that's what I've been made aware of over time).

Good luck with it - I think it could be a pretty awesome car! ::thumb::

a shout out from my VAN....down by THA RIVER!

8000? I see a lot of work as mentioned and here is the catcher for me. "only needs 200 worth of work" Well if its worth 8000 and you "dont have time" to have it fixed for only 200????? YEAH RIGHT!!.....5 more and you could get a rust free car with a fresh engine and tranny that is MUCH faster!! just say'n. :D

Thanks for the input folks!

Glad to know the trubba spots are similar to the older models.

However, he still hasn't replied to texts which tells me he either already sold it, doesn't want to sell it or he's nuts. It is CL after all.

I did ask for an underneath pic in the text. Maybe that's why no reply.

Back