351v 4v shorty headers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I am looking for a quality shorty header fit my '73 with a 4v 351c. I was looking at Sanderson but have read so many conflicting reviews. Does anyone run shorties?

Can we get some pics of the headers everybody is talking about?

I'm running long-tubes, so I can't help with that. ;) :D

I would also like to see some pictures. Someone upgraded my exhaust system before I got the car. Looks like long tubes.

I am putting the engine back in Saturday, not sure how it will look up against old rusty headers.

cazsper,

Can you provide a bit more info on the cons for these headers? I am running a 302 version of the Hedman Shorties and love them.

mustang7173
I'm not saying shorties are bad. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have read that the Sanderson headers have conflicting reviews (they leak/they don't leak, coating flakes off, etc...) . I have used Hedman shorties on my '95 GT and they were great. I'm looking for a pair of quality ceramic coated shorties for my 351c 4v..

Not cheap, not "shorties" but, good quality and ground clearance.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/351C.htm

Chuck
Thank you.. I have no problem paying for quality. It's just I have a set of long tubes and they are so close to the ground, it's ridiculous. They are the Hooker Super Comps.

I have a set of Hedman mid length on my '68 but they are for a Windsor. Wish they made them for the 4v Cleveland.

cazsper,

It looks like Sanderson is about the only vendor I can find that supplies the shorty headers for the 351C 4V engines. This feature, "Patented Flange Design Requires NO Gaskets" is one reson to look into these shorties.

mustang7173

I have looked into them. It's just that I have read many conflicting reviews. If "they" aren't using factory manifolds, "they" seem to be using long tubes. I think I should now look at either the Hooker Comps (not super comps) and Ford Powertrain.

I have purchased the Sanderson shorty headers for my 73 mustang. I'm trying to get a TKO600 5-speed into. I had to take my hedman long tube off, they wouldnt fit with the new trans configuration. Hopefully, I can get them in my car shortly. I can let you know how they work out. Thanks

I have purchased the Sanderson shorty headers for my 73 mustang. I'm trying to get a TKO600 5-speed into. I had to take my hedman long tube off, they wouldnt fit with the new trans configuration. Hopefully, I can get them in my car shortly. I can let you know how they work out. Thanks

I would appreciate it. I have a TKO-600 in my '68. Are you going hydraulic or cable clutch?

I would appreciate it. I have a TKO-600 in my '68. Are you going hydraulic or cable clutch?
I'm going with the cable clutch. I got my TKO set up from ModernDriveLine, which doesn't offer a hydraulic. I did look into getting one I just felt I would try the cable. My left leg will be much happier either way.

True..lol. I actually got my kit from Bruce at Modern Driveline. Nice kit. I am actually running Hedman mid length headers for my '68. Nice transmission. Just not as smooth as the T-56 in my previous car. After I start working, im thinking of going the 6-speed route.

Casper,

Did you go with the FPAs or the shorty Sandersons on the '73?

I've been waiting for someone to try FPAs with a 351c-4v and TKO combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, since I've been out of work, the Mach-1 has taken a back seat. I'm still looking out for info myself. If it becomes a huge issue, I may just go with a 427w. I know the windsors pretty well and I like the headers available.

Casper,

Did you go with the FPAs or the shorty Sandersons on the '73?

I've been waiting for someone to try FPAs with a 351c-4v and TKO combo.
Finally got the TKO-600 in, with the Sanderson shorty headers for my 351C-4V. The first driver side header didn't fit, they had to send me another one. It fits, just barely. Now to finish up, I have to get my drive shaft shorted and exhaust work completed.

Back