351v 4v shorty headers?

I am looking for a quality shorty header fit my '73 with a 4v 351c. I was looking at Sanderson but have read so many conflicting reviews. Does anyone run shorties?

cazsper,

Can you provide a bit more info on the cons for these headers? I am running a 302 version of the Hedman Shorties and love them.

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

I would also like to see some pictures. Someone upgraded my exhaust system before I got the car. Looks like long tubes.

I am putting the engine back in Saturday, not sure how it will look up against old rusty headers.

cazsper,

Can you provide a bit more info on the cons for these headers? I am running a 302 version of the Hedman Shorties and love them.

mustang7173

I'm not saying shorties are bad. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have read that the Sanderson headers have conflicting reviews (they leak/they don't leak, coating flakes off, etc...) . I have used Hedman shorties on my '95 GT and they were great. I'm looking for a pair of quality ceramic coated shorties for my 351c 4v..

Not cheap, not "shorties" but, good quality and ground clearance.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/351C.htm

Chuck

Thank you.. I have no problem paying for quality. It's just I have a set of long tubes and they are so close to the ground, it's ridiculous. They are the Hooker Super Comps.

I have a set of Hedman mid length on my '68 but they are for a Windsor. Wish they made them for the 4v Cleveland.

cazsper,

It looks like Sanderson is about the only vendor I can find that supplies the shorty headers for the 351C 4V engines. This feature, "Patented Flange Design Requires NO Gaskets" is one reson to look into these shorties.

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

I have looked into them. It's just that I have read many conflicting reviews. If "they" aren't using factory manifolds, "they" seem to be using long tubes. I think I should now look at either the Hooker Comps (not super comps) and Ford Powertrain.

• 4 months later...

I have purchased the Sanderson shorty headers for my 73 mustang. I'm trying to get a TKO600 5-speed into. I had to take my hedman long tube off, they wouldnt fit with the new trans configuration. Hopefully, I can get them in my car shortly. I can let you know how they work out. Thanks

I have purchased the Sanderson shorty headers for my 73 mustang. I'm trying to get a TKO600 5-speed into. I had to take my hedman long tube off, they wouldnt fit with the new trans configuration. Hopefully, I can get them in my car shortly. I can let you know how they work out. Thanks

I would appreciate it. I have a TKO-600 in my '68. Are you going hydraulic or cable clutch?

I would appreciate it. I have a TKO-600 in my '68. Are you going hydraulic or cable clutch?

I'm going with the cable clutch. I got my TKO set up from ModernDriveLine, which doesn't offer a hydraulic. I did look into getting one I just felt I would try the cable. My left leg will be much happier either way.

True..lol. I actually got my kit from Bruce at Modern Driveline. Nice kit. I am actually running Hedman mid length headers for my '68. Nice transmission. Just not as smooth as the T-56 in my previous car. After I start working, im thinking of going the 6-speed route.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, since I've been out of work, the Mach-1 has taken a back seat. I'm still looking out for info myself. If it becomes a huge issue, I may just go with a 427w. I know the windsors pretty well and I like the headers available.

• 4 months later...

Casper,

Did you go with the FPAs or the shorty Sandersons on the '73?

I've been waiting for someone to try FPAs with a 351c-4v and TKO combo.

Finally got the TKO-600 in, with the Sanderson shorty headers for my 351C-4V. The first driver side header didn't fit, they had to send me another one. It fits, just barely. Now to finish up, I have to get my drive shaft shorted and exhaust work completed.