73 Engine rebuld

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
The 73 (302) has been in the shop for a few weeks now gathering all the parts (and there were a lot of them) for a total engine rebuild.

They ended up doing a .30 over and I'm hoping to get her back before next weekend.

Here are a few pics.

zpfile000.jpg

zpfile001.jpg

zpfile002.jpg

zpfile003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I had the knowledge to rebuild the engine. Unfort I don't and a local shop is doing it.
Here's another pic of the engine as it's being put back together. The shop says Monday, but I'm figuring closer to Wed.

I would have loved to have added headers, but this is already way over what I thought the original work would have cost. ( Plus the Mrs. would have given me the evil eye).

zpfile005.jpg

if your exhaust manifolds are not painted they will rust right away . . i use brush on high temp cast iron color paint . . the spray can stuff is not very good.

Wish I had the knowledge to rebuild the engine. Unfort I don't and a local shop is doing it.
Here's another pic of the engine as it's being put back together. The shop says Monday, but I'm figuring closer to Wed.

I would have loved to have added headers, but this is already way over what I thought the original work would have cost. ( Plus the Mrs. would have given me the evil eye).

Looks great ::thumb::

Hope to see some more pics when you got it back...

You can add some headers later so that's not that bad!

The next rebuilt you will make on your own - I never thought I will ever do that on my own but... never say never! It is not rocket science!

But for now be happy to get it back soon and have a freshly rebuilt engine! That's a great feeling ;)

Some time later you could give the Missus a nice present and quickly install some little nice headers as long as she will be happy with that :D

Best wishes

I know the evil eye for sure.

The engine is back in and running great.

Being 30 over and a mild cam, plus the total rebuild, I def felt more torque from the hole.

They put in Engine rebuild oil which needs to be changed at 200 miles. If all goes well at that point looking to go full synthetic. For the first 200 I also need to keep it under 50.

Glad to have the stang back in the garages, but ouch!!! $4500 for the job.

Guess having the front bumper repainted this year is on hold. Oh well.

Not a happy camper right now.

After a total engine rebuild from top to bottom I would think everything would be running great.

I needed to run the car 200 miles for a break in and bring it back as they would change the oil from engine break-in oil to full syn.

So far I've taken her out for short runs (4 total in all) and have 147 miles on the new engine. After this last one I pull her in the garage. wait a few minutes and look under the car on the garage floor and lo and behold wait do I see.....oil.

The oil spot looks like it came from the center in front of the engine and looks like it's right below the bottom pulley and in front of the oil pan.

While this really pisses me off, going to stay calm and call the shop on Tues to let them know about the oil. At this point it's their problem to fix it and I'm sure they will, but it's just very annoying. Just hoping that it just needs something's tightened up.

Last edited by a moderator:

if you reused your old damper, it likely has a groove worn into it . . you can buy a sleeve to go over it but a new damper would be better but the engine should be balanced to the damper . . the damper should always be replaced in a 40 plus year old engine.

Back