Toploader issues?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71ponymaster

Reaction score
My Car
We have two 1971 Mach I's we are putting together for our kids and 1972 Mustang Convertible we are looking to sell. That is all we have in this era.
Ok. Lookin for sum help from u experts out here

My boys 71 m code 4 speed toploader w hurst mach

Issue one. Once fully parked in 1st gear. Sometimes it wont come out of 1st. Slide under it line up shift arms ur good to go. Thought a bushing kit in shifter was needed

Now i see with the shifter unhooked from tranny i can manually put it in reverse an then also in 1st. This doesnt seem right at all. Any help??

Also as far as bushing kit need help. It has the grommetts that pop into shifter arm an then a ball studded piece pops in. Linkage arms have elongated holes for the adjustment. I need those bushings an cant find em. Any suggestions??

Is this the correct linkage setup for 71-73's? Or is it supposed to have the threaded ended linkage arms?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

yes a ball stud is wrong.

it should come out of first no matter how bad your bushings are . . the prob is likely internal but try the bushings first.

make sure the box is clean and well oiled so the arms move freely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is mine
Yep. Mine has the same linkage

Uses this stud an grommet on the shifter

Without the shift linkage connected you can put a toploader in 1-4

and reverse at the same time...it will lock the trans from turning.

The shifter should make this impossible via a lockout.

Wish i had a dollar for every time I locked up the trans in first and

reverse with a vertical gate shifter...good ole days.

I have rebuilt several toploaders . The shifter has little to nothing to do with the gears locking out. There is a system of springs, shift rails and interlock pins inside the transmission that will not allow dual gear engagement. Either a spring went bad or there are incorrect or missing parts in this interlock system within the transmission. You should never be able to manually get the transmission into two gears at the same time if this system is working correctly.

Ya. I appreciate all the info. Shifter is off an the toploader will go in 1st an reverse at the same time. And it locks up the tranny. Just doesnt seem right to me

Back