DOAE-J????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71/351c/darkhorse

Reaction score
My Car
i have a 1971 grande coupe with a 351 Cleveland 2 barrel motor. she was half way fixed up now looking to do the rest.
Hey guys ive been working on my engine a lot lately and finally looked up the engine code and ive run into a little confusion. DOAE-J. ive looked it up one says a 71 4v block the next says 1970. so any insight would be great. it is a two bolt main block that i know for sure.

just look at the date code by the casting code.

the date code i think is 9k21.

Sounds like November 21,1969, so was likely used in a 1970.

EDIT:

Jeff is correct, I forgot that the letter "I" was skipped in the date codes (when I was counting on my fingers), due to possible confusion with the number 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
did they only make 4 barrel clevelands back then because im not seeing anything on a 2 barrel in 70.

did they only make 4 barrel clevelands back then because im not seeing anything on a 2 barrel in 70.
I believe that is the case. You could get 2v 351 Windsor, or 4V 351 Cleveland for 1970.

From memory, not from research......

In 1970 if you ordered a 351 2V it was a crap shoot as to which 351 engine showed up in the car due to sporadic shortages of the then new 351C engines. It was real upsetting to customers who wanted the new 351C.

Chuck

it is definitely a 70 model engine as was mentioned.

yes, you could absolutely order and get a 2v cleveland engine in 1970. i had several of them . . the engine code would be an H.

Back