All About Build Sheets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang grande
i checked for my build sheet today and i found it just in front of the drivers seat under the sound proofing mat, i can read a bit of it but the rest is damaged from rust stains from light surface rust on the floor.

does anyone own a 1971-72 grande that i can read the build sheet details from to complete the factory option listings ( i have a brand new repo build sheet to stamp as a display at car shows)DSC01208.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i checked for my build sheet today and i found it just in front of the drivers seat under the sound proofing mat, i can read a bit of it but the rest is damaged from rust stains from light surface rust on the floor.

does anyone own a 1971-72 grande that i can read the build sheet details from to complete the factory option listings ( i have a brand new repo build sheet to stamp as a display at car shows)
Hey,

Send me a clear copy of your damaged buildsheet and i figure it out for you.

Do you have a Marti report also ??

( did you look on the passengers side too !?? , often there are 2 buildsheets present in the car )

John

ill check out the passenger side some more did not see another?, its hard to read mine but using others on this site Ive worked out the letters.

when i take a pic of my build sheet the letters don't show up so i cant send you a copy sorry, im cleaning it up and getting it laminated today to protect it and ill transfer the info onto a repo build sheet i just got to show at car shows (does any one know how to reproduce the letters to look original?)

i will have another look on the passenger side to find another i only thought there was one per car?.

i cant send you a better copy as the letters don't show up on film? but i copied down all the info i could find on it after hours of straining my eyes lol.

I'm 100% on the info i have except for the radio codes? ( i have a AM with eight track) and the fender skirts in the wheel area ( what does B mean?).

I'm going to copy it all onto a repo build sheet i got but need to get stamps to match can anyone help me to find the stamps?.

(also what does the rotation number at the top mean?)

i will get under my car to copy down the rear axle info because i cant read that also.DSC01228.JPG

OK i found a second one under my passenger side carpet and its in much better condition and i can read everything this time ( thank you for letting me know there was a second).

Ive updated my sheet now and its 100% correct.

a interesting thing i found is one sheet is a may 1971 and the other is a may 1970 issue?DSC01231.JPGDSC01232.JPG

I knew it !!! , you are a lucky guy !!

Glad that you found your buildsheets , in almost perfect condition.

They do not always have 2 buildsheets, some have none , or one from another car.

But your car is a Dearborn car and there it happened many times.

Do you still want to make a replica buildsheet ??

I made one for myself to put on the dashboard on a carshow , i can make you one if you want.

( if so , please do a better job on the buildsheet you filled in , some Zs look like 2s , 5s look lik Ss and box 23 - 36 i can't read at all !? ).

As your original buildsheet looks nice and de floorsections from you car look nice your car should be in pretty good original condition.

Do you think it's possible to put the car on a car-lift and clean the car from the underside so many of the original marking become visible ??

If you picture the original markings and send them to me i can use them for my database that i'm building ( the 71-73 Mustang code's dots and stripes database).

My direct emailadress is [email protected] , if you give me you direct emailadres i can send you some undercarriage pictures , so you know where to look for.

As we have such a nice conversation i will give you a 1+ reputation point.

John

[attachment=2931]

What do you think abouth this ??

Glad that you found your build sheets , in almost perfect condition.

They do not always have 2 build sheets, some have none , or one from another car.

Do you still want to make a replica build sheet ??

I made one for myself to put on the dashboard on a carshow , i can make you one if you want.

( if so , please do a better job on the build sheet you filled in , some Zs look like 2s , 5s look lik Ss and box 23 - 36 i can't read at all !? ).

As your original buildsheet looks nice and de floorsections from you car look nice your car should be in pretty good original condition.

Do you think it's possible to put the car on a car-lift and clean the car from the underside so many of the original marking become visible ??

If you picture the original markings and send them to me i can use them for my database that i'm building ( the 71-73 Mustang code's dots and stripes database).

My direct emailadress is [email protected] , if you give me you direct emailadres i can send you some undercarriage pictures , so you know where to look for.

John
John, That's cool that your documenting the dots and stripes for the 71/73s. If you have not started a thread here you should to get input from more members. I have two originals of my build sheet for my 73 Convertible. But I found mine way back in 1974 or 75 when I took my interior out to rustproof the floors (it was supposed to be the last of the Mustang Convertibles). It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure both of mine were under the front carpets too. One of mine looks like it is a carbon of the other. Between the two copies I have all the codes. It looks like the form date on mine is Aug 1972.

Here are mine if it helps with your documentation.

73MustangBuildSheetCopy1.jpg

73MustangBuildSheetCopy2.jpg

they are not carbon copies of each other check out the number "0" they are different???

yes i also find it strange that my passenger side is a may71 and drivers side is a may70 how is this possible??

DSC01240.JPGDSC01239.JPG

Glad that you found your build sheets , in almost perfect condition.

They do not always have 2 build sheets, some have none , or one from another car.

Do you still want to make a replica build sheet ??

( if so , please do a better job on the build sheet you filled in , some Zs look like 2s , 5s look lik Ss and box 23 - 36 i can't read at all !? ).

John
John, That's cool that your documenting the dots and stripes for the 71/73s. If you have not started a thread here you should to get input from more members. I have two originals of my build sheet for my 73 Convertible. But I found mine way back in 1974 or 75 when I took my interior out to rustproof the floors (it was supposed to be the last of the Mustang Convertibles). It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure both of mine were under the front carpets too. One of mine looks like it is a carbon of the other. Between the two copies I have all the codes. It looks like the form date on mine is Aug 1972.

Here are mine if it helps with your documentation.

73MustangBuildSheetCopy1.jpg

73MustangBuildSheetCopy2.jpg
Mike,

Thanks for forwarding me you Buildsheet copies.

Are there any original markings present on your car ??

I should open a thread where i can ask people to mail me their copies.

John

Mike,

Thanks for forwarding me you Buildsheet copies.

Are there any original markings present on your car ??

I should open a thread where i can ask people to mail me their copies.

John
Definitley start a new thread to capture the info. Most of my markings were covered up when the car had the Ziebart Rustproofing done back in 75. It seems there was a marking on the wiper motor casing; I'll check on that. I've noticed the "Caution Fan" stickers on radiator supports are in different places. Mine is the original sticker and is way off center on the right side of the support. I've read somewhere these stickers we installed during dealer prep, that would be another interesting data point to see where the stickers were placed on other cars.

Great to see everyone contributing to the Build Sheet decode. Thank you to John for seeing an opportunity to help the 71 - 73 cummunity on this one. John has my build sheet plus a few more I have gathered over time from other folks. I have been trying to find the spare time to compile and cross reference this information and have shared what I know so far with John. Hopefully, through our collective efforts we can compile an accurate accounting for everyone.

Its great to see other folks finding a valuable piece of history specific to their car. Their is no better opportunity to truly find out how your car was equipped from the factory other than the build sheet. Understandably, the 71 -73s were treated to a lot of dealer installed upgrades. Your build sheet is definitly the factory delivered vehicle.

When I was doing research to fill in the blanks on my build sheet, I thought "how nice it would be if there were some kind of data clearing house to look up this information".

With that in mind, I'm thinking of building a spreadsheet with build sheet info that can be used to research these types of things. Here's what I would like to do:

1) Have a simple grid format for each block on the build sheet.

2) Include pertinent car info (engine, transmission, body style, year, color, interior, etc. etc.).

3) This one is optional and could serve as further contact for questions: include board member user names ONLY (no real names).

Please give me some feedback guys and gals. If people object for any reason I won't do it (or at least leave those off, if there is a lot of positive feedback). I figured that since most build sheets have been posted with VINs and everything that most people won't have concerns.

If I go ahead with this, I could post it up or give it to Rocketfoot or something.

Sounds like an intensive project! I have no problem with you using mine. Do you want us to post a copy in this thread for your use?

Good luck with it.

Sounds like an intensive project! I have no problem with you using mine. Do you want us to post a copy in this thread for your use?

Good luck with it.
Once the spreadsheet is set up it will be easy to enter the data. I appreciate the offer, I suppose either post up the build sheets here or e-mail them to me; either will do just fine!

Thanks!

Back