351 C 4V Barn Find Engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB 71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351 C
M Code
Pic 1.jpgPic 1.jpgPic 1.jpgNeed some advice in this 351 C 4V M code Engine..The odometer reads 108K, though I am not an expert internal engine parts it looks to have been worked on...see attached pic. Looks like the previous owner was setting up for a drag car.. with the 850 carb, high volume electric fuel pump and a large accel super coil. By the pic does there look to be any wear? how can I estimate mileage on the engine?

I'm sure I can do a tear down, though there may be a better way.

I don't know any other info from the previous owner.

Based on the date code on the head, September 5, 1974, I'd say it is not a 4V head as no 4Vs were produced for model year 1975 in the US. It could be an Australian 4V head I suppose. One of our southern hemisphere friends may be able to chime in. I know Panteras were delivered with 351C sourced from Australia until sometime in 1988 (not to the US). The picture indicates a rebuild not very many miles ago.

Chuck

what exactly do you want to know?

as far as condition, you would need to hear it run and see if it smokes. it might run fine, it might be blown up.

a compression test will also provide some info.

it might have 50 miles on it, it might have 50,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Chuck, definitely no 4V head in that shot, check out the space where the pushrods go, all 4V's had the single hole per pushrod (not a couple like a 2V) and no open spaces between the intake ports for the pushrods. Another point of interest the Australian "4V" head was still the 2V type, the engines were fitted with 4 barrel carbs and intake manifolds only, no proper 4V heads were ever made in Australia and no 351 ever came from the factory with closed chambered 2V heads either.

what exactly do you want to know?

as far as condition, you would need to hear it run and see if it smokes. it might run fine, it might be blown up.

a compression test will also provide some info.

it might have 50 miles on it, it might have 50,000.
Exactly as Barnett has said, as for milage, basically how long is a piece of string. As said a compression test and a leak down test will provide some useful info, but condition just looking at a pic, then who knows. But I'm with Chuck on this though, the top end of it doesn't really look that old or has done not a lot of work

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info...I will be doing the tests suggested. The engine runs great...no smoke of any sort that I have noticed...just some moisture drip from the exhaust.

What are your goals or expectations from this engine?

Kind of curious myself as to why someone would do a stud conversion and Glyptal paint the inside on this engine...

It appears to be a "bolt down" adjustable rocker arm conversion, possibly Crane. Chuck

Back