1971 Mustang TV commercials

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
4 of them!

One featuring Farrah Fawcett. Funny how the name in the commercial for the guy they are talking about "Charlie"...

Notice the pre-production cars and the 'differences'...

Ray

You had me at "Farrah Fawcett". :)

A few things I noticed: I wish they had kept the pockets in the center console to store the seat belt latches on the production cars.

No convertibles in any of the spots. I guess the best was yet to come. .... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray,

Thanks for sharing. I love the old commercials, and these are a real find, as any TV or cinema ads for 123 Mustangs seem to be quite rare from what i understand.

It's interesting that direct reference is drawn to the European styling in the ads. If my memory serves me, this subject has been raised many times on the Forum from members who have felt that

certain design cues were taken from the Euro influence of the day. These ads then surely seal the deal in that respect do they not.

Greg.:)

Yes, this makes it official but I think there is a huge gap in between Fords claims and reality. I can't find any kind of design cue that looks even remotely European ( which is a good thing btw). :)

Even the 1971 window sticker eludes to the "European styling".

The long almost-flat back end is supposed to be part of that styling, I think...

1971 Window sticker capture.JPG

Here is the script marketing the 72's on the window stickers:

1972 Window sticker capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great find, thanks for sharing.

European Styling? What were they thinking, it looked nothing like the European cars of 1971; like the MGB GT, Porsche 914 / 911, Triumph Spitfire, Lotus Elan +2, Ferrari Dino etc . . . And it was almost twice the size. American styling? Yes!

I didn't buy my 72 Mustang for European styling!

Yes the videos run in succession like a playlist - a little confusing.

There are 4 in total. You just have to wait for the next to load until all 4 have played.

I'm just happy to see them available. 1972's are the ones I can't seem to find. I believe Ford was really concentrating on selling more Pintos back then!!!!! Tons of marketing material to promote them!!!!

Ray

Great find!

I'd love to know the air date on the (4th vid) that has the Mach-1 with hockey stripes.

I wonder if Ford ever did a Boss 351 commercial?

1972's are the ones I can't seem to find. I believe Ford was really concentrating on selling more Pintos back then!!!!! Tons of marketing material to promote them!!!!

Ray
Here's a Mustang ad from 1972, you just need to speak Spanish.

I have seen that one.  it is posted on another thread.  Yes it was made for 1972 model year but for South American market.  Notice only two model types offered - hardtop and sportsroof.  And they call the sportsroof a Grand Touring.

Ray

Great find!

I'd love to know the air date on the (4th vid) that has the Mach-1 with hockey stripes.

I wonder if Ford ever did a Boss 351 commercial?
Since they had a late August 1970 production start I'd say the commercial began airing around a month or two before that.

No I have never seen any TV commercials for a Boss 351 Mustang.  Remember Ford  was dropping out of racing and was already developing the Mustang II at that time.

Ray

Back