Door panel removal with Power Windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72 Green Hornet 4sp

Reaction score
My Car
72 green/green CJ 4sp PW AC
I have a 72 Mach 1 with power windows and the front/rears move slowly so I want to clean/grease the tracks. All I read is that if the clip that holds on the PW switches breaks it is impossible to find. Anybody removed the panels or have a video of doing it so that I don't break the clips. Thanks

If that clip breaks, you´re screwed.

I did remove my panels but the clips were already broken, so I am of no real help.

Don't give up hope on the clips. I found two NOS ones for the drivers bezel and will be getting tooling built to copy them. As soon as I can find the passenger or rear clips I will do the same with them. When I get the parts I will offer to Forum members first and then ebay or pick a mustang supplier to distribute.

I have a 72 Mach 1 with power windows and the front/rears move slowly so I want to clean/grease the tracks. All I read is that if the clip that holds on the PW switches breaks it is impossible to find. Anybody removed the panels or have a video of doing it so that I don't break the clips. Thanks
I was just checking in to see if you had any luck with that. I need to remove my door panels front and rear and am concerned about breaking something. The power windows work all around on my car and I want to keep it that way ::thumb::

I did find two of the elusive clips in Dearborn Michigan so I can get started on the repo of the clips. Since the 72 I have that had the windows has not clips I cannot first hand tell you how they come off. I think West Coast Cougar might have something on their site about them They get $35.00 for the clips when he has them, crazy for such a tiny part.

I will be going to work in the Dayton and Indy. region in a couple weeks and will work with a shop there to get something going on the clips.

I believe that if you pop the door panel loose you have to go behind the panel and release the clips to get the bezel off before you can remove the panel all the way. I am going to do both the drivers bezel clips and the single control clips they are the same for 70 - 72 on Mustang, Cougar, T-Bird and some big Fords.

I will post on the Forum when I have them for sale and they for sure won't be $35.00 each.

I would suggest you take the window guides out clean all the old grease off and use the Lucas Oil Products, Inc. RED "N" TACKY #2 grease to lube the tracks and rollers. You should also pull the regulators and clean the teeth and pull the gears out of the PW and clean and replace grease. The front window gears are everywhere on eBay and not difficult to find. The rear motors, "Pancake" motors are hens teeth. The West Coast Cougar site has a video on how to take them apart and clean and lube. The will do repairs and rebuilds also. They are usually worse than the fronts as far as dried up grease and rust. You will probably need to blast them and get the case re plated if you have a supplier. If not just paint them. You will be shocked how fast they go up and down after cleaning and new lube and quite no shaking. No real special tools needed just time a patience.

David

I did find two of the elusive clips in Dearborn Michigan so I can get started on the repo of the clips. Since the 72 I have that had the windows has not clips I cannot first hand tell you how they come off. I think West Coast Cougar might have something on their site about them They get $35.00 for the clips when he has them, crazy for such a tiny part.

I will be going to work in the Dayton and Indy. region in a couple weeks and will work with a shop there to get something going on the clips.

I believe that if you pop the door panel loose you have to go behind the panel and release the clips to get the bezel off before you can remove the panel all the way. I am going to do both the drivers bezel clips and the single control clips they are the same for 70 - 72 on Mustang, Cougar, T-Bird and some big Fords.

I will post on the Forum when I have them for sale and they for sure won't be $35.00 each.

I would suggest you take the window guides out clean all the old grease off and use the Lucas Oil Products, Inc. RED "N" TACKY #2 grease to lube the tracks and rollers. You should also pull the regulators and clean the teeth and pull the gears out of the PW and clean and replace grease. The front window gears are everywhere on eBay and not difficult to find. The rear motors, "Pancake" motors are hens teeth. The West Coast Cougar site has a video on how to take them apart and clean and lube. The will do repairs and rebuilds also. They are usually worse than the fronts as far as dried up grease and rust. You will probably need to blast them and get the case re plated if you have a supplier. If not just paint them. You will be shocked how fast they go up and down after cleaning and new lube and quite no shaking. No real special tools needed just time a patience.

David
Awesome, thanks David, I appreciate it. Yeah the fronts shoot up and down like there is no tomorrow. Almost Guillotine fast! The rear-driver is coming up slowly and I have to jiggle it when its coming up for the full roll-up. I want to get it all cleaned/lubed and am trying to do it without breaking anything. I will holla at you if I do break anything though :) May need a repo clip.

Back