headers are a bit close...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fonzogt25

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 w/ 1971 351c
so i put my headers in last weekend (hooker headers) and they are just a tad close to the power steering column. i have pics to show. how much of a problem is this? what could go wrong and do i need to do anything?

kE8WeOY.jpg

qsqj3Yv.jpg

FqfmIOO.jpg

there is a small gap between the header and the knuckle. they arnt touching even though it may look like it. theres maybe a 1-2 mm gap id think. whats everyones opinion?

Even if you have good motor mounts it's likely the motor will move around enough to make contact. I'm also concerned with the heat transfer to the steering gear.

I would check the motor mounts to make sure they're installed correctly, then loosen them up and see if you can shift the engine over some.

If you can get some clearance I would wrap those tubes with header wrap to keep some of the heat off the steering gear.

If you can't get some clearance some hammer massaging may be in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my long tubes and the steering converted to rhd, mine is closer than yours.

No problem after 12 years. I covered my starter motor and Saginaw with good quality aluminium heat shield when I redid the engine bay.

It just misses.

I have EXACTLY the same issue there is about 1/4 inch clearance.

My engine has a cam and when it thumps at idle the header pipe

sometimes makes contact with the PS gear...annoying as H.

It's a common problem with some long tubes as a search of this site will reveal.

The fix is to mark, remove, heat up and dent the tube for clearance.

Paul

My car had a c6 transmission cross member with a c4 transmission. This moved the rear of the transmission over to the left causing the header to rub the steering box. The c6 cross member will bolt up if it is flipped around backwards but the transmission bolt holes will not be in the center of the car.

sounds good guys! thanks! i think ill just try to wrap the heads. i was worried about the heat coming off the pipes and messing something up, but ill probably just wrap em or deal with the noise

I'd get out the hammer if it were me, and header Tape or wrap should help with the heat issue. Personally I had Headman headers back in the day on my car and didn't have this problem but I never liked them very much and they went bye bye. I'm sure glade I saved the original manifolds they fit better sound better and are less of a pain over all. That's just my opinion.

so i put my headers in last weekend (hooker headers) and they are just a tad close to the power steering column. i have pics to show. how much of a problem is this? what could go wrong and do i need to do anything?

http://i.imgur.com/kE8WeOY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qsqj3Yv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FqfmIOO.jpg

there is a small gap between the header and the knuckle. they arnt touching even though it may look like it. theres maybe a 1-2 mm gap id think. whats everyones opinion?
Hi,

I got the same problem with the Doug Thorley headers(they don't fit and hit the steering gear box,see pic.).

Now i have the Hedman headers and they fit just like the headers on your pictures (2 a 3 mm distance too the steering gear box)and use a heat protection tape or a shield(for example :second pic.), i also use this protection tape for the start-motor.

sounds good guys! thanks! i think ill just try to wrap the heads. i was worried about the heat coming off the pipes and messing something up, but ill probably just wrap em or deal with the noise
I was going to say, probably the quickest fix would be to wrap the headers. You might undo the driver side motor mount, pivot the engine up just a bit to get a little bit of clearance to slip the wrap in, then set it back down (since the wrap will take up whatever space you actually do have in there).

Good luck with it!

I had a set of blackjacks back in the day that hit the steering box, I pulled it out and massaged a dimple into it because the car sounded like it had a knocking rod in it. This time around I went with Hooker comps, and they dont even get close. Very nice fit, the back tube goes behind the other 3 pipes, and I was able to fish them into place from under the car without any problems. Only $218 from Summit.

I'd get out the hammer if it were me, and header Tape or wrap should help with the heat issue. Personally I had Headman headers back in the day on my car and didn't have this problem but I never liked them very much and they went bye bye. I'm sure glade I saved the original manifolds they fit better sound better and are less of a pain over all. That's just my opinion.
+1 on the original manifolds!

I'd dimple it. Mark it with a sharpie, lift it up and over enough to put a piece of steel rod to use as a drift and hit it a few times to make a 1/4" depression.

If using heat tape. use it on the power steering box, instead of the header and you won't rust out your header

I just went back to the iron manifolds on my Mach-1, I wanted less to worry about while I get my old Mach-1 back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back