Austin Vert Buys New Wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Just bought some new wheels and tires for the Mach 1, and had to show them off.:shy:

Some quick Blah, Blah first. The Mach was running 8x15 Magnums up front and back with T/A Radials all 'round. 245/60 up front and 275/60 on the back. New five leaf springs were recently installed on the back with standard eye shackles. Sadly, the Magnums had surface rust on them, and had to go. My first intention was to upgrade the rims ONLY with new Magnums all 'round. That is 8x15 up front again, and 10x15 on the back.

But alas, i couldn't help myself, and i reverted back into time, back to the Seventies when i was a teenager, and the Jelly Bean or Slotted Mags were King. You know, Starsky & Hutch, and Aloha Bobby & Rose etc, etc.:cool: US Indy Mags are making and selling new Slotted Mags. I checked them out, and fell in love with them, and had to have them. I bought mine from Summit Racing, and got a good deal. However, would you believe the shipping cost to Australia was more expensive that the purchase price of the four rims.:( For an extra $24, i bought the lug nuts from Summit as well.

Stuff it i said, while i'm at it, i'll treat myself to some new rubber as well. I've been running Mastercraft Avengers on my '73 Convertible, and really love them. That would be my obvious choice then.

OK, so here's what i ended up with. US Indy one piece mags all 'round.

8X15 with a 4 1/2 inch backspace up front and 10x15 with a 5 inch backspace on the back. The rubber is Avengers all 'round with 245/60 x 15 up front and 295/50 x15 on the back. I 've got no rub issues with this setup, and the lighter wheels make steering and handling even better than before when i was running the heavier Magnums.

SO, these new wheels may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i myself, think they're pretty sexy, and go with the car nicely. I'm very happy with them, and i think they will bring on a lot of good street appeal as well.

See my pics below, and click on any image for full enlargement.

001.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG010.JPG011.JPG015.JPG017.JPG018.JPG022.JPG026.JPG

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Looks very nice. Still retains the look of the original slots but with wider rims. I like the look.

Ouuuh, Greg, how I like them... Congratz!!!

They are the dream of my sleepless nights!

BUT: we have an organisation over there which is called "TÜV" aka "Technischer ÜberwachungsVerein" and do not like every car-and-wheel-combination, especially if there is no approved load capacity of the wheels by a certificate as with the most of the american wheels out there.

I assume that your wheels are made from aluminum, right? That makes it even worse - if of chromed steel there is always a chance as with the magnums but with aluminum - hardly!

I wish I could get a set of 15x8 on my car and get it legally driven here - looks like the originals but with a lot more "shoulder", more muscular and heavier, like our cars.

You are a very lucky guy, Greg!

Tim

You know I am very finicky on most mods. But I like these very much.

:idea: This choice hints of the original 1973 slotted mags but in a much more aggressive size.

So - a very tasteful mod, classically respectful of the original offerings from Ford!

If I was a judge, I'd give a few extra points for that!!!!

Congrats! Well done! :cool:

Ray

Huggy Bear, seen here really diggin' those rims.

CeJMgXp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By George old boy, you've done it again. ::thumb::

You've once again warmed my old school heart. :D

Lookin' awesome!!! :cool:

Thanks everyone for your great feedback and kind words of praise.

It means a lot that i've received a great thumbs up on the new wheels from you all. I'm so glad you like the look. I must confess, i thought it was a gamble to some extent as to how the whole thing would turn out looks wise, but when i went to pick the car up from the tire man, i knew straight away it was working.

I hope my choice here will possibly inspire other folks to maybe consider going my way as well, in regards an alternate look for our Mustangs. The other good news is that if i want to, i can swap my wheels over from my Vert to Mach 1 and back again any time i want to chase a different look on either car. It would be interesting to see these wheels on the Vert as well.

Many thanks again folks,

Greg.:)

Back