Black dashboard paint code?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Help!

Didn't find any threads on this topic. I am just trying to make the car a good looking driver. I have already cleaned prepped and sprayed the plastic dash parts. The remainder of the dash, especially below the glove box, has some scratches. That paint is not just a flat it has a metallic look to it. I have painted 65 mustang dashes years ago when you could go get a quart of lacquer mixed anywhere with the right code.

Can someone give me guidance on what paint to use for a Black 73 dash all the metal parts? What code, type and brand of paint would you suggest. Is there a rattle can color that works?

For the plastic I actually took rattle cans turn them upside down bleed the propellant out and then cut a hole in the bottom and pour the paint out. I then use a small detail gun and spray it and it gives a much better job and you don't have to buy a lot of paint. I keep the remainder of the paint in Mason jar but you have to be sure all the propellant is out it will pressurize the jar.

Well back to the dash.

Thanks,

David

I had a really hard time getting the spray paint black charcoal metallic to give an even coat with the metal flake,,, I painted the area around the glove box 3 times and still am not really happy with it

I had a really hard time getting the spray paint black charcoal metallic to give an even coat with the metal flake,,, I painted the area around the glove box 3 times and still am not really happy with it
What were you using rattle can or spray gun? If I order the Drake spray cans I will do like before turn can upside down bleed all the propellant out. Cut a hole in bottom after shaking up very good and pour into mason jar. You can usually do much better with a small detail gun than any spray can. It takes forever to bleed the can it is best to find a tube to stand it in and put a weight on the bottom and just leave it takes nearly 10 min. sometimes.

You can still get lacquer by the gallon but you have to be a licensed shop and it has to be use on a vehicle that used lacquer when made. A friend that has a shop got a gallon of black for one of the vehicles he was doing and it was over $800.00 for a gallon of black.

Thanks for getting back.

David

Ok I ordered three cans from NPD since they are only 100 miles away from me. Will empty them out and see how it goes. I will take a couple pics for before and after.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no substitute for using Lacquer from a paint can and spraying it thinned down correctly, through a spraygun. You get much more superior control over the finish with the final appearance and the correct paint film build, than rattle can paint could ever achieve, propellant bled or not.

If you CAN find it, buy it and use it. Rattle can paint is really only good for little small fiddly jobs. If you can't find it, buy one rattle can of charcoal black, spray the paint out on a test card, then take the card to your local spray shop, and they should be able to very close color match your sample to some made up Lacquer or 2 Pack paint. (don't forget to put the matting agent in as well)

Greg.:)

There is no substitute for using Lacquer from a paint can and spraying it thinned down correctly, through a spraygun. You get much more superior control over the finish with the final appearance and the correct paint film build, than rattle can paint could ever achieve, propellant bled or not.

If you CAN find it, buy it and use it. Rattle can paint is really only good for little small fiddly jobs. If you can't find it, buy one rattle can of charcoal black, spray the paint out on a test card, then take the card to your local spray shop, and they should be able to very close color match your sample to some made up Lacquer or 2 Pack paint. (don't forget to put the matting agent in as well)

Greg.:)
You cannot purchase lacquer paint in the U.S. like you could in the 70's. I used it for many jobs back then. This is a driver car not a show and I will never get into that money pit again they always find something else not quite right to them.

I probably still have a dried up can on the shelf and the flattening compound we use back then. I quite cars for over 30 years and everything in paint has changed. I expect the rattle cans to go away any time.

David

I was using a spray can, it looks good unless your out in the sun and then the metal flake just isn't right,, I though it looked good til I rolled it out all reassembled,,,, not gonna tackle it again any time soon! Let me know how yours turns out

What were you using rattle can or spray gun? If I order the Drake spray cans I will do like before turn can upside down bleed all the propellant out. Cut a hole in bottom after shaking up very good and pour into mason jar. You can usually do much better with a small detail gun than any spray can. It takes forever to bleed the can it is best to find a tube to stand it in and put a weight on the bottom and just leave it takes nearly 10 min. sometimes.

You can still get lacquer by the gallon but you have to be a licensed shop and it has to be use on a vehicle that used lacquer when made. A friend that has a shop got a gallon of black for one of the vehicles he was doing and it was over $800.00 for a gallon of black.

Thanks for getting back.

David

Ok I ordered three cans from NPD since they are only 100 miles away from me. Will empty them out and see how it goes. I will take a couple pics for before and after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link.

They have the standard black will contact and see if they can mix and if they will sell to an individual. I have been told that I cannot buy since I am not a body shop but do not know that myself.

I do know while working on getting my garage going I was told if I said I was going to paint that I would get a visit from an inspector to take soil samples and would have to be tested yearly to see that I was not polluting. You also have to have the fire cabinets for paint and solvent recycle system or pay someone to recycle. So the building inspectors will only see a home garage 50' X 80' if I can ever get the grading done.

Thanks for the link.

They have the standard black will contact and see if they can mix and if they will sell to an individual. I have been told that I cannot buy since I am not a body shop but do not know that myself.

I do know while working on getting my garage going I was told if I said I was going to paint that I would get a visit from an inspector to take soil samples and would have to be tested yearly to see that I was not polluting. You also have to have the fire cabinets for paint and solvent recycle system or pay someone to recycle. So the building inspectors will only see a home garage 50' X 80' if I can ever get the grading done.
David,

Gee Whiz, i didn't know your State laws in Carolina were so strict. If it turns out that it's illegal to purchase Auto Lacquer paint and spray it without getting into bother with the law, then yes it would seem you're limited as to what you can do i guess.

Greg.:(

Back