interior rear view mirror adhesive

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Just bought a "kit" to re glue the PLASTIC rear view mirror button to my windshield, no luck. The parts guy told me there was no such thing as a plastic button, and that this kit would work...uh uh! Luckily it was only a couple bucks.

I am going out again to another store to see if they have anything, in the meantime, what is used for a plastic button?

I was searching for info on this and there doesn't appear to be a good glue for plastic buttons. One post from a GM assembly worker said that the windows had the plastic buttons manufactured with them installed on the new windshields. Not sure how true this is. The suggestions were to take the mirror to a wrecking yard and find a steel button that fits and use the glue designed for that. No one seems to make a glue for the plastic buttons.

I've had good luck with good ol' SuperGlue Gel. My 1980 Jeep has had the metal button glued to the windshield since sometime in the mid/late-'90s... in the West Texas heat.

Follow the directions and make sure it's absolutely clean before sticking it on (alcohol swab, let it evaporate, then wipe with a clean lint-free cloth). Wait 24 hours before hanging the mirror and don't over-tighten the set-screw (it'll actually try to "pry" the button from the windshield if you do).

Back