2009 mustang Bullit rims 17X8

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
Hi Guys,

I bought some 2009 Bullitt rim take offs 17"X8" 45mm offset. I have a 72 mach 1. It originally camwe with 14"X6"? Magnum 500 rims on it. I really like the look of the 17X8 Bullitt rims. I have seen a lot of spaces offered on Ebay.

My question is can I use these spacers without a problem for steering, brakes, wear & tear, etc. Can I use a 1 1/4" ? 45mm offset converts to about 1-3/4". That seems an awful big. I'm only going to use the car for crusing but I don't want it to be dangerous. Some good technical advice would be greatly appreciated.[/php]

Code:

Hi Guys,

I bought some 2009 Bullitt rim take offs 17"X8" 45mm offset. I have a 72 mach 1. It originally camwe with 14"X6"? Magnum 500 rims on it. I really like the look of the 17X8 Bullitt rims. I have seen a lot of spaces offered on Ebay.

My question is can I use these spacers without a problem for steering, brakes, wear & tear, etc. Can I use a 1 1/4" ? 45mm offset converts to about 1-3/4". That seems an awful big. I'm only going to use the car for crusing but I don't want it to be dangerous. Some good technical advice would be greatly appreciated.[/php]

Code:
The best way to figure for spacers is to use nuts & washers behind the wheel..Mount it up & see what you have..You can adjust in & out by the amount of washers..It's then a simple matter to measure the nut & washers to see the spacer you need..Your going to need 3" .610 knurl lugs..Thats how to do spacers Now if your taking adapters Thats a different story..can't help you there.

SWEET LOOKING PAINT AND THE BULLITS SHOULD LOOK GREAT WITH IT. IF YOU GO BACK AND LOOK AT XIOLEX POSTS ON WHEELS AND TN;S POSTS I THINK YOU WILL FIND YOUR ANSWER. THEY FIGURED IT DOWN TO A SCIENCE, BUT I DONT KNOW THE CONVERSION FOR MILIMETERS BUT I BET YOU WILL HAVE LOTS OF CLEARENCE WITH AN 8" WHEEL. XIOLEX HAD 9" WITH LOTS OF ROOM. HE HAD 4.5" BACK SPACE WITH 8" ON THE FRT. AND 5.0" ON THE BACK WITH A 9" WHEEL ON THE REAR.

Hi,

I did something similar, only with 18 inch rims.

Maybe you wanna check out the thread I posted here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-experiences-with-bigger-wheels

You will have to use adapters, otherwise the wheels will not fit and if they did they would look pretty stupid. You need those that bolt to the car and have studs of their own to mount the wheels to. They look like this.

012.JPG

The screws on the car are too short to allow for that big a spacer. The nut will not have enough thread to bite into and you're probably gonna kill yourself! :-/

I used 40mm with the rims having 35 (front rims) and 45 (rear) backspace. No issues, great handling even at high speed.

Be very careful when measuring at the front. Watch carefully for upper control arm clearance as the edge of a 17 inch rim will be at the same height.

The thread mentioned above holds a lot of info and if you have any more questions, just ask. Pm me if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I did something similar, only with 18 inch rims.

Maybe you wanna check out the thread I posted here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-experiences-with-bigger-wheels

You will have to use adapters, otherwise the wheels will not fit and if they did they would look pretty stupid. You need those that bolt to the car and have studs of their own to mount the wheels to. They look like this.

The screws on the car are too short to allow for that big a spacer. The nut will not have enough thread to bite into and you're probably gonna kill yourself! :-/

I used 40mm with the rims having 35 (front rims) and 45 (rear) backspace. No issues, great handling even at high speed.

Be very careful when measuring at the front. Watch carefully for upper control arm clearance as the edge of a 17 inch rim will be at the same height.

The thread mentioned above holds a lot of info and if you have any more questions, just ask. Pm me if you like.
Lux..That was a great post about the 18" wheels...But there's 2 ways to do this..The way you did with adapters...or the way I did with spacers..They both acomplish the same thing, But there is a difference..Adapers bolt to your hub, spacers slide over the hub on A LONGER LUG you can buy lugs in all different lengths & different knurls..Most of the cobra disc brake converstions use spacers on a longer lug..Thats the way I did it & you can get SPACERS here http://www.streetortrack.com/Billet-Spacers-c-1420.html

...you can buy lugs in all different lengths & different knurls..Most of the cobra disc brake converstions use spacers on a longer lug..Thats the way I did it & you can get SPACERS here http://www.streetortrack.com/Billet-Spacers-c-1420.html
Yup, I forgot about the longer lugs. I went with spacers because I need to go back to the old Torq Thrust wheels now and then. (Legal Issues...) That way I can simply take off the adapters and use the regular lug nuts.

I was also worried about the leverage on the longer lugs with the spacers. I dunno if that's an issue but it bugged me.

Back