TMI deluxe door panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
Has anyone purchased and installed the TMI deluxe door panels? If so, how is the fit and finish? Any modifications needed to be made? Would you recommend using them?

I purchased a blue set from TMI which I recently installed. I converted from the standard door panels to the deluxe and found out that the door pull requires a metal bracket (not reproduced and they do not come with the aftermarket door pulls) and the door latch is specific to either type so that needed changing to accept the deluxe chrome door latches. It took several hours to install each side. You need good patience it got frustrating fast. I found the clips would often pop out some would break. I would constantly take the panel back out and reconfigure the clips until I got it right. Alternatively the original standard panels would pop in and out in a few minutes (I did try to make sure I was going about the job correctly).

I am happy with the result but it wasn't the most fun job to install put it that way. I would give them an 7/10. There were some scratches in the corners when I took them out of the box. There is too much fabric around the door pulls that needs trimming. But they do look good in the car. There is another brand that offers the "Ford licensed" stamp of approval - that maybe a better fit I've read comments on this site that suggest that but cannot say from personal experience.

Do you know the other brand? I installed a set a few years ago on the sprint and they were a pain as well.

Do the TMI ones have the chome strip on them on the top? It sounds like if you already have deluxe panels the job would be a little easier.

The brand I bought was from Mustang Market and I thought they were too hard and clips did no line up to the holes in my doors either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Mustang Market panels. They take some time and careful trimming, the clips were easily swiveled to the proper positions. The end product looked as good as factory installed.

Thank you ASUSNZ

Sounds a bit trying of the patience. I would be interested in hearing from someone regarding the Ford licensed stamp of approval set of deluxe panels.

thanks again

I purchased a blue set from TMI which I recently installed. I converted from the standard door panels to the deluxe and found out that the door pull requires a metal bracket (not reproduced and they do not come with the aftermarket door pulls) and the door latch is specific to either type so that needed changing to accept the deluxe chrome door latches. It took several hours to install each side. You need good patience it got frustrating fast. I found the clips would often pop out some would break. I would constantly take the panel back out and reconfigure the clips until I got it right. Alternatively the original standard panels would pop in and out in a few minutes (I did try to make sure I was going about the job correctly).

I am happy with the result but it wasn't the most fun job to install put it that way. I would give them an 7/10. There were some scratches in the corners when I took them out of the box. There is too much fabric around the door pulls that needs trimming. But they do look good in the car. There is another brand that offers the "Ford licensed" stamp of approval - that maybe a better fit I've read comments on this site that suggest that but cannot say from personal experience.

To the best of my knowledge: The Ford license is something some manufactures pay for to use the Ford or Mustang trademark in their advertising. It's not a stamp of approval. Some manufactures sell more complete panel. Direct Dashes may be one.

This is my experience with the TMI panels too. After the trimming and hours of fitting them to the door they look good. Just be patient with them.

We used the TMI deluxe panels and are quite happy with them. You have to use the longer door clips. We had problems when we went to install as the clips were too short but once we got the longer clips they worked without a hitch. Check out our garage pic or www.71mach.com for the finished pictures

3961_06_12_14_3_24_57.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up on additionail parts needed and availability. I am also considering the upgrade of my standard interior.

The longer clips that you mention, how would I go about locating those? Could you share any additional hardware you needed for the install? The finished product certainly looks good.

We used the TMI deluxe panels and are quite happy with them. You have to use the longer door clips. We had problems when we went to install as the clips were too short but once we got the longer clips they worked without a hitch. Check out our garage pic or www.71mach.com for the finished pictures

3961_06_12_14_3_24_57.jpeg

I am not a fan of these panels but unfortunately sometimes you have no choice but to use them. They took some time to install but once you work out all the issues they do look good. The big issue that I had was with the hole placement with the window handles. They were not located properly so when I put on the handles there was a huge gap. I wound up having to install a rubber piece behind the handle to cover the gap. Since the interior is black and white it didn't detract from the appearance but it was frustrating when you pay close to $400.00 for them. You can see in the pic what I had to do.

IMG_0096.JPG

It is hard to see in the picture, do you have the original piece that sits behind the crank handle? I am not sure what it is called but it is a little larger than the crank handle

It is hard to see in the picture, do you have the original piece that sits behind the crank handle? I am not sure what it is called but it is a little larger than the crank handle
On the 73 there isn't one of those plates. I think that the window crank hole was much smaller and maybe a closer tolerance where the hole was cut. I attached a picture of the original door and you can see it only had the handle. The gap that I had was at the top portion of the handle, large enough to make it noticeable. The second pic shows the gap and the third was the solution I came up with. Since the interior is black and white you really don't notice it and it doesn't seem out of place to most people. Only if you are familiar with our cars do you notice it.

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

It seems like the 71-72 parts would work the same on the 73. I don't know why they would stop using them. The this washer acts as a bushing so the crank in not rubbing the door panel

Sorry about the upside down picture

9gblvp.jpg

21ctfrk.jpg

Back