New steering box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muswagon,

If you are going to replace your Saginaw Power Steering box, then you need to look into Power Steering Services. I had the 12.7:1 Fast Ratio Steering Gearbox Conversions processed on my steering box and wow, what a difference. Note, I have not driven the mustang with the box, but I can tell a difference in the turning during installation vs. my old box. Now, it took a few weeks to get it back.

http://www.powersteering.com/

15wxcvs.jpg

It was recommneded to install reman. or brand new power steering pump. I went with the New Cardone Select and installed brand new hoses along with P/S cooler.

21nqdfl.jpg

mustang7173 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you installed the new box and pump yet? Love to hear how it goes as I want to do something with the "wandering" we get when on the highway ( middle of the box's range).

Thanks!

Butch

I too have this "wandering" deal going on with my car. The steering box looked new when I got it, and I have made some minor adjustments with it, but it still likes to shift slightly every once in a while. All steering components are new, should I just have the steering box rebuilt again anyways?

Grab somebody and check the system from steering wheel to tires. Have your helper rock the steering wheel back and forth and look at the rag joint, then watch the steering box's input shaft vs. the pitman arm, then check the tie rod linkage then the wheel bearings. You would be surprised how easy it is to spot worn parts this way, isolated with good light...

++

My slop in steering is the pitman arm. I got one off ebay 37.00 from mustangs unlimited

they had 5 available and they sold out in 6hrs.

I ordered new PS return and pressure lines plus the saginaw rebuild kit from rockauto.

I will report back on my experience with the refurbish in a new thread soon.

Paul

New box is in. They sent me a 3 turn lock to lock quick ratio even though the part number was the laze 4 turn box, yee haw. I bought a pitman arm from Mustangsunlimiteds website for $34. Night and day difference. Its a pleasure to drive

On my mach 1 it was a full time job driving it down the highway at 55-60 mph... so I replace the steering box and wow its drives great now.. No wondering from ditch to ditch... I bought mine off of e-bay for like 150 bucks and it is a power steering car.. now if you have a 351C with headers it a very very tight fit and a pile of work but so worth it....

Ive been looking for a box for a few months, ended up ordering from rockauto when one popped up, was pretty cheap. Mine is a power steering car as well. My old PS (and POS as well lol) just cleared the header, but the new box rests right on it, and the vibration is awful, have to work on that during the week.

Where in Nebraska are you? I bought my car in Omaha 3 years ago and dragged it home

Last edited by a moderator:
Back