Getting it back on the road

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
New to the site. Looks like a nice forum.

I parked my 1972 Mach 1 in the garage when my son was born in 2001. With that, and house projects, I just didn't get it out anymore.

After 13 years, the mice really messed things up. They got into the exhaust and interior. I currently have the exhaust out, including manifolds and am pulling the entire interior out.

This car was in very good shape when I parked it. I restored it in the 90's. Now onto restoration #2.

If you live in the country, watch out for those mice!

Below is a car show pic from 1997 or so, and a current pic sitting in the garage. It's a 1972 Q code Mach 1. Light Pewter Metallic. Completely stock with the exception of a Holley 600cfm carb.[/font]

stang1.jpg

stang2.jpg

welcome from latrobe PA. Mine was originally a 72 convertible w/black top/interior really nicely optioned a pewter and 4 speed q-code but the time i got it was in need of bad body~mechanical~electrical and chassis work with some of the options added extra or monkeyed with at 156,000 miles~could say poorly engineered to maintain a stay w/the state inspection on the road from looking like it was tared over rust spots to keep the body together and then some. As in my care in 03 had it totally torn down~redone then modified the way i wanted it for performance and show with only some minor corrections to complete it like repainting a quarter panel~refinishing an inner door panel and replacing an after modification of a 2 barrel intake manifold to an air gap 4 barrel intake manifold and a little tweaking on the charging system. As i got it virtually for nothing as a hand me down from a highschool shop teacher that unloaded on one of his students no telling of what puddle in what rat hole of a salvage yard it came from or other areas unk. However, you probably have your horror stories while originally restoring yours. Got a heck of a bio on it from its acquisition to making this years March calendar slot and them more of the surprises when putting it through extra modifications to suit my expectations. On it resto mod alone over 250 pics on my photo album or can pick through posts and stories all over our ez gallery. looking fwd to seeing more of yours as an original condition. I WOULD SAY FOR A RESTO MOD-close to a #2 condition but just have not really put it through the test of on and of road driving to see what else may be hidden in it. Mikke

Welcome to the site. Where in Pa are you from?? Im located about 1hr north of Pittsburgh, near Slippery Rock. That's a very nice looking mach1 you have there........looks really familiar! Looks like the twin to mine!

20z61j8.jpg

Another Phoenix welcome to you

Howdy from Phoenix. We don't have the mice problem but you would have found a few black windows and maybe a snake or two... ;)

Nice looking ride.
I guess the roof rats haven't made it to your part of town, they have caused us a bit of damage here

well due to mice you definitely will need to go through the entire wiring system to make sure they didn't chew insulation off or short wires.

this includes the entire vacuum system as they will chew on hoses as well

they love to get into the climate control system, so you will want to take out the fan and have a look at the squirrel cage, they also love to stock food inside the bottom of the heater box.

most common way into the car baring rust holes and getting through the door seals is they climb up under the cowl from the fenders behind the water splash shields and then enter the car through the air intake hat, from there inside the heater box there is a wide plastic grill facing the passenger door. mice fit through that grill or rats eat through it. in the heater box is where they usually drop nuts/acorns and use as food storage, then they make a nest in the Fan blower motor(Squirrel cage) but when the temps drop they go into the car where it is warmer.

that is the last barrier and they are inside the car free to chew on everything and make nests in the seat foam.

so now that the interior is out i would go further and start looking all around the inside of the dash for additional damage.

hope for the best :D

welcome to 7173mustangs.com :D

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Nice car. I really dig light pewter on fastbacks. Nice wheels too.

Remember to post a pin on the member map under "fun stuff" at the top right of the page.

Very nice original (Big Plus for me) car!

Good luck with the wiring and vacuum system checks.

This site offers a lot of great people on here that are eager to help!

Ray

Welcome and nice Mach. Get the drool bucket out for Mr. 4x4:D
I have drool buckets under both my desk at work as well as the one at home... and use them every time I login to this site. rofl

Seriously nice car, Dave! ::thumb::

Good luck with the restoration!

::welcome:: from Germany

Nice that you found our forum

Juergen

Back