Guitar lounge got me to thinking about favorite players

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 351c 2V
And lately, I have been listening to a disc I made of my favorite YES songs. Incredible amount of talent in all variations of their line-up, starting with their front man and chief lyricist, Jon Anderson. But what really got me was...

Two great guitarists:

Lead guitarist Steve Howe

Bassist Chris Squire

I cant think of a band whose music is more defined by that of their bassist than YES. Chris Squire's bass riffs are simply amazing, and were often a form of counterpoint to Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman.

Anyway... are any of you moved by YES as I am? Amazing melodies... songs within songs.

Motorhead maybe more defined by their bass player than any band ever in every sense so much so that the band would cease to exist with out him me thinks:)

b4dqb4.jpg
[/img]

well I had NOTHING to contribute to the guitar lounge!!! I cant carry a tune in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it.

maxresdefault.jpg

probably my top 5 leader! Robin Trower (and why were all the good musicians weird looking effer's?)

followed by Jeff Beck, Hendrix

YES, not so much.

My favorite band is unfortunately way underrated in the U. S. I'm speaking of TOTO. Their guitar player Steve Lukather is my absolute favorite player ever.

Another great one would be Richie Sambora who influenced me more than I thought, although I am not a great fan of Bon Jovi. Make me play a solo in a major scale and it'll remind you of Sambora.

Then there was Dann Huff when he was with his band Giant.

I always liked Mark Knopfler a lot too, or Danny Gatton.

From the new generation there are two guys that really "have it": John Mayer who is a very tasteful player with a great sound and of course Brad Paisley who kicks some real butt with a Telecaster.

I've been a fan a Jeff Beck since I was a kid. My Geography Teacher at school told me to listen to him. His 1968 album Truth still sounds awesome today.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best just died. I just found out that B B king has Passed away.

Ritchie Blackmore!

blackmore_ritchie_old_scalloped.jpg

A very unique player and personality. He influenced me very much - also in love with 70's strats with big headstocks ;)

You will probably know him from his work with Deep Purple and Rainbow... ;)
Without a doubt, have been listening to Blackmore's Night a lot.

mike

Yup, RIP B.B. King!

I read the sad news today. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I had the chance to see him a few years ago.

Cool to have seen him live. I heard his single / albums sales weren't that good over the years, it was his live performances that he was known for.

If anyone had the feel of the guitar, it was him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - guitar players. Most of my favorites are from bands that are less popular than some because of 'pop radio' airplay, like Bon Jovi, Journey, Extreme, etc. Of course I like most of the giants, like:

• Eddie Van Halen
  • Joe Perry
  • Mitthias Jabs
  • Brian May
  • James Young
  • Randy Rhoads
  • Alex Lifeson
  • Slash
  • Joe Satriani
  • David Gilmour
  • Eric Clapton
  • Angus Young

You're not alone in liking Richie Sambora... one of the most underrated guitar players ever. He has a talent for putting the 'perfect' solo to whatever song he's playing. Some of the other "overlooked" awesome guitar players (from bands I really like):

• Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
  • Neil Shon (Journey)
  • Nuno Bittencourt (Extreme)
  • Vito Bratta (White Lion)
  • Phil Collin (Def Leppard)
  • Rudolph Schenker (Scorpions)
  • Mick Mars (Motley Crue)
  • Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
  • Jeff Watson (Night Ranger)
  • Chris DeGarmo (Queensryche)
  • Michael Wilton (Queensryche)
  • Tom Scholz (Boston)
  • The Edge (U2)
  • K.K. Downing (Judas Priest)
  • Paul Dean (Loverboy)
  • Dave Sabo (Skid Row)
  • Aldo Nova
  • Carlos Cavazo (Quiet Riot)
  • C.C. Deville (Poison)
  • Warren DeMartini (RATT)

Some others that are always overlooked as great guitar players and didn't even really register (from bands I like):

• Brian Canham (Pseudo Echo)
  • Dave Sharp (The Alarm)
  • Prince (Yeah... no kidding - he can burn up a fretboard)
  • Ric Olsen (Berlin)

I could go on forever and I know I missed a bunch of awesome guitar players, since I like a LOT of different bands. But these are the ones that get the most play on my iPod & WinAmp.

Guitarra-Metal-5.jpg

Greetings from Texas. I grew up with Pantera in my ear, and I got to see him with DamagePlan before he was assassinated. RIP Dimebag.

Back